1 week old chick gasping,peeping, closes eyes when gasping, no watery nose,or eyes

chickens4us

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 13, 2012
AZ
Can anyone help diagnosis what is wrong with this chick? Eats, drinks, walks/runs when necessary but becoming weaker. eating starter feed ground up in blender, clean water, hay on ground, heat lamp and room to move away. Not sitting or standing by lamp. Have other chicks - no problems yet.
This chick came in with white around her naval. Looks to have cleared up, has crusty scab at naval now. Got her few hours after - 1 day old.

She also does not want to lay down to sleep, but fights to stay standing as much as possible. Her voice is starting to sound sore and has a second sore sound,(almost like a sore throat) after the loud peep. I have other chicks with no problems as of now. Started to give antibiotics around noon. Has anyone seen this behavior before?

I had a bantam chick that was purchased at TSC act similar to what you are describing. That chick did last a few days and seemed to be doing well on vitamin treated water. It was awfully small however and did end up dying.
sad.png
It would never lay down, always stood and was very sleepy...
I think some just fail to thrive no matter what you do. Is yours really small? How are you administering the antibiotics? What kind are they? How often?

Chick was very large & puffy looking, when purchased and still is largest of the week old chicks. Started antibiotics a few hours ago, Duramycin-10 (2/8 teaspon/3cups of water) along with vitamins & electrolytes in the drinking water. Plan on changing every 12 hours.

She is in with 4 chicks that are 1 week older. Do not see rough behavior or pecking. 2 of the older chicks are silkies, so only 2 chicks slightly larger. Sick chick does not appear to have any sore spots on her body and her little downy looks perfect with her feathers coming in. Don't believe she was stepped on as she does run and fight for food/water at times.

Hmmm..."puffy" looking? Sounds definitely like something to do with hatching to me..
It sounds like you are doing everything you can to help. It's so frustrating to not know what the problem is, isn't it? I hope it pulls through! I think it's just a waiting game for you now. Keep me posted....do you have a pic?

Yep, that's what mine looked like! She didn't peep at all but she had the same movements only less exaggerated. Today is only the first full day she has been on the antibiotics so there hasn't been much change. I have noticed she is eating a little bit more, I made mash for them yesterday so I think that is helping, it's easier to go down. Keep me posted on how she is doing. So far my other chicks have not been affected.

I have one doing similar. Its been since I brought her home. She didn't do anything but stand and gasp for air. Well, I ended up doing electrolytes and the antibiotic. I force fed her, made sure she had fluids. I even tried olive oil. People jumped onto me for treating what I had no idea what was wrong, but I paid $10 for that chick and I didn't want to loose her!! Anyway, I felt bad so I cut back on the treatments other than fluids. She ended up perking up and feeling better. Today thought I noticed she is acting funny again. So I don't know what the deal is. I wonder if I had treated her longer with the antibiotic if she would have fully kicked whatever she had. Good luck with yours, I hope she recovers!

Back
Top Bottom