1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

1 week old chick - mass in abdomen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ahavati, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Ahavati

Ahavati Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2016
    Woodville, TX
    We have 11 chicks currently in this batch (lost 4) and I noticed today that one has a strange hard mass feeling in her lower abdomen. Down where I assume her pelvic bones would be. I checked the other chicks and they don't have that. When I turn her on hr back to inspect, you can see the lump in her entire bottom abdomen. No sides of pasty butt or anything. She acts normal. Is this something that needs immediate attention?

2. JuliaWesterbeek

JuliaWesterbeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2016
    Singapore
    I would separate her from the rest just in case it is something medical and it can spread to the other chicks. Observe her and if she completely acts normal but her together with the other ones.

Did all the dead chicks have the same lump, cause if they did that would probably be the reason for their death

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by