1 week old chick not using one leg

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JodiLynn, Sep 20, 2012.

1. JodiLynn

JodiLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2012
    I have a 1 week old chick that was born with curled toes and we splinted. One healed fine and is straight while the other seems to have more issues. He just holds the leg up and doesnt use it while walking just hops on one leg. He does the same with and without the splint on. I have pictures in a thread under incubating and hatcing chicks ( I did not know how to move it [​IMG])

Any advice or opinion on this little one would be great. He eats and drinks just fine but seems to enjoy being held and snuggled the most.

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    I have one exactly like yours ! it was cause from trying to get out of the shell ! She has badly curled toes and walking sideways. I dont have a heart to kill her !. She is now 8 months old and doing well with one leg. she is laying eggs too!

3. JodiLynn

JodiLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2012
    Really? We do intend to freerange our heavier birds but this little one is a salmon faverolle and the DH said he would make her a seperate pen inside our barn where she is safe and maybe find her a docile friend (maybe one of our barnyard mixes). We are trying to start up a breeding program so she will not be a part of that but I am like you I just dont have the heart to kill her. She is eating and drinking so well and when she sees me or the DH she crys out to be held and snuggled. I am glad to hear that you have one that is the same and doing fine! These eases my mind a bit.

4. thebanthams

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    She runs around with the other small chickens her size ! ( I will try to take pictures) She surprised me few times like she can jump up on top of the next box(flat top) she cannot roost. She will fight to take away worms or lettuce from the other hens !! She is half silkie and black ausrolorp .

5. thebanthams

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

"Toostie"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by