1 Week Old Chick Possibly Sick!? Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RedBreasted, Apr 5, 2018.

1. RedBreasted

RedBreasted Songster

Sep 21, 2014
    So I got two day old Ameraucana chicks from a local hatchery on Wednesday, March 28th so they’re now 1 week old. The white one is acting fine so does the other two a week older chicks except for this brown one. It looks like she keeps being lonely, hiding out in the corner, stretching her neck and opening her mouth (time to time) and her eyelids looks wide open.Also what may seem abnormal is that she’s sometimes shaking like mainly the abdomen part I see shaking when she’s laying down. I’ve raised chicks in the past, grew up living healthy and strong but I haven’t experienced one that’s acting so strange. I do provide fresh water and chick starter everyday, actually I change out the water every few hours when it gets dirty/foggy. I’ve did some research on these symptoms, and found out could be either coccidiosis (I don’t think so since she is pooping normally) or Marek’s Disease. If anyone out there reaching out saying I’m abusing animals or I’m not ready for chickens, just don’t answer, I’m doing the best I can to taking care of these chicks. I was thinking of providing Apple cider vinegar but I only have the Walmart Great Value brand that’s see through so I don’t think it would provide nutrients to kill fungus or other pathogens in their system. She is shaking a whole lot thought as she lays on her belly like she’s about to sleep. I don’t think she’s cold, I have the heat lamp not too high up so heat isn’t an issue.

Attached Files:

2. RedBreasted

RedBreasted Songster

Sep 21, 2014
    She could be tired and wanting to go to sleep but I’m just too scared. She seems isolated from the others. She does walk around, eat, and drink and also stretched her legs out.

Attached Files:

3. Joeschooks

Joeschooks Just clucking around

Feb 7, 2018
    Hampshire, UK
    My Coop
    I wouldn’t have thought it would be Mareks because it’s not transmitted vertically (ie caught from the parents through the egg) and the others would also likely have it if one of them did. Coccidiosis doesn’t seem likely to me either. I would try giving them some electrolytes/nutridrench. Best of luck :fl

4. RedBreasted

RedBreasted Songster

Sep 21, 2014
    Well I don’t know how to start this off and it’s a bit depressing but something happened this morning. The chicks died, all four of them. The water dried out and the heat lamp got too hot. It happened around midnight so I was asleep.

5. Joeschooks

Joeschooks Just clucking around

Feb 7, 2018
    Hampshire, UK
    My Coop
    I’m so sorry to hear that, its awful news :(

6. RedBreasted

RedBreasted Songster

Sep 21, 2014
    It was really heartbreaking (I'm used to it because I had to kill my rooster a long time ago over an angry neighbor) but last Friday I bought 5 chicks again, it was same breeds, and they look like the dead ones' doppelgangers. I'm monitoring them EXTRA carefully this time. They looked very, very happy and energetic then the last 5. By the way, how can you tell how many weeks old chicks are because I'm not so sure right now.

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Get a thermometer to place on the floor under the brooder. Keep the light at a minimum of 18 inches or higher. The temperature should be about 90F the first week, but there should be a cooler spot in your brooder to get away from the heat. Decrease the heat by 5 degrees each week by raising the lamp or lowering the wattage in the bulb. Read some articles in the learning center: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/category/getting-started-raising-chickens.21/

8. RedBreasted

RedBreasted Songster

Sep 21, 2014
    They don’t look like their 1 week anymore. It’s sort of like exactly at or almost 2 weeks. Also at the store, I can only buy a tiny glass thermometer and it said it’s for incubators. I know, I’m really stupid.

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    An incubator thermometer is fine.

10. RedBreasted

RedBreasted Songster

Sep 21, 2014
    So they all died on April 6 but I bought 4 new ones again. Right now their at the 5 week mark and it's been getting hot outside around 70-85 Fahrenheit. When can they go outside because my house is getting stinky!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: