1 Week Old Chick, Sick - Help

johnsonfarm

Songster
10 Years
Oct 17, 2012
Wisconsin
We have 4 Silkie chicks, one week old, changing their paper every day, clean water, medicated chick feed, using a Brinsea heat plate. One of the chicks is not doing well, and it is a very important chick to my 11 year old son, it hatched in his hand and he is very attached.

It is unsteady on it's feet, drooping wings, and a little raspy sounding. It keeps tilting it's head back like it's drinking, even though it didn't just take a drink. Opening beak to breathe. Watery poop.

Is this brooder pneumonia? What can we do to try and save it? I added a heat lamp because I'm not sure the Brinsea is working like it used to. I'll go buy some chick vitamins/electrolytes. Please, any suggestions!

I'll try to get some uploaded soon. Gave it a drop of nutri drench and it seems a little better, not tipping its head back anyway.

We have 4 Silkie chicks, one week old, changing their paper every day, clean water, medicated chick feed, using a Brinsea heat plate. One of the chicks is not doing well, and it is a very important chick to my 11 year old son, it hatched in his hand and he is very attached.

It is unsteady on it's feet, drooping wings, and a little raspy sounding. It keeps tilting it's head back like it's drinking, even though it didn't just take a drink. Opening beak to breathe. Watery poop.

Is this brooder pneumonia? What can we do to try and save it? I added a heat lamp because I'm not sure the Brinsea is working like it used to. I'll go buy some chick vitamins/electrolytes. Please, any suggestions!
a few of our babies was like this too. however, we gave them electrolytes and they all perked up in no time! so, my best advice is to make sure it gets all the nutrients needed and gently rub its neck so that if there’s mucus in the throat, it won’t choke it.

Unfortunately we lost the chick :( The other 3 have diarrhea so I'm treating for Coccidiosis. I'm pretty sure the one we lost had something respitory though.

Apple cider vinegar is usually a big help. Ever since I started using it in the chicks water, I've never had any illnesses/diseases. Add a drop or two of apple cider vinegar every time you change out their water. The other ones that have diarrhea, make sure they are hydrated with clean water at all times. Make sure they have enough to eat, and try giving them fresh air if you can.

Medicated chick feed, they did get a tiny bit of rolled oats & hard boiled egg yolk the other day. I haven't added grit. Chick seems more steady this evening, still eating & drinking, but it's got a rattley sound in its chest.
I'm sorry for your loss. You should not be feeding brand new chicks oats. Brand new chicks need a complete balanced feed...only.

Where did the eggs come from that you hatched? Did the eggs come from your own flock of adult birds?

Back
Top Bottom