1 Week Old Chick Spins in Place

swampducks

Overrun With Guineas
11 Years
Feb 29, 2008
Barton City, MI
This is the same chick I posted about yesterday who was listless and had some bloody poo.

Now after 24 hours of individual care with some antibiotics and milk powder (no one around here has sulfa drugs!) he stands and cheeps and tries to eat but he spins to the right, almost all the time while walking around the box.

I can't find anything specific on this, I checked the vertigo threads and googled it but got nothing that made me say "AHA". I'm guessing it's nerological, I'm hoping it's nothing hte other 26 will come down with.

I've also got a new package of electrolytes which I've added to the water.

Anyone hear about this? His eyesight seems fine, I can't see anything wrong with his ears or nostrils.

My Ruth nearly died after becoming lethargic and I had to force feed her. When she got stronger and could eat on her own I discovered she could only spin in circles to the right. Then discovered her neck was crooked. Used Poly-Vi-Sol (liquid baby vitamins) and gave her a Vitamin E capsule daily (just cut top off and squeeze out goop for her to eat.) She made a full recovery and today, one year later, she's a great gal and the sweetest of the bunch.

Crook Neck or Limp Neck can be a vitamin deficiency and she may just need extra vitamins and TLC for awhile.

Would that vitamin E be a human gel cap type? Got a bunch of those. I've been using vitamin water in a syringe, I'll just keep going as long as it takes.

Thanks
smile.png

Yep, my LookOut started with odd circling behavior, then I noticed she was "looking up" at an angle a lot when she saw me. gradually her neck started turnig sideways. With input and advice from Ruth, giving Vit & Vit E she is almost normal. She still will spin circles and twist her neck if she gets really excited, but otherwise a healthy friendly chicken.

Yes, the regular human Vitamin E capsules. I used to cut off the top and squeeze out the goop and Ruth would gobble it down as it came out - must have tasted good.

Depending on how bad off the chick is, you made need to keep up the Poly-Vi-Sol and Vitamin E for a few weeks. At least a couple of weeks after they seem normal or they can relapse.

Chickenzoo - glad to hear I could help.

Have you looked into Newcastle disease? I know one of the signs/symptoms is Circling or Spinning? You said she had bloody poo? Any respiratory problems seen?

Quote:
newcastle? No I haven't checked on that. The bloody poo has cleared up, no sneezing, runny nose, gasping or any other signs of repiratory distress.

He actually spun once in the other direction this morning. Also seems to be eating more. Got my fingers crossed.

Finally read up on Newcastle, not even close.

Spin-Dry has spun in the opposite direction a couple times now and is drinking from the medicated water on his own now.
smile.png

Fingers staying crossed.

Back
Top Bottom