1 week old chick suddenly can't stand, seems healthy otherwise, what could it be?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dudu, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Dudu

Dudu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Ħal Luqa, Malta
    Dear All,

I haven't seen this before but out of a litter of 6 babies that hatched approx. a week or 10 days ago, one suddenly cannot stand up or move properly, but is still very active, peeping, eating and drinking by himself. I saw the mommy this morning making scratching motions on him and thought that was the cause but I am not sure what really happened. I immediately isolated him not to be killed by the mom.

I have never seen this before, does anything come to mind? Thanks a LOT in advance...

Irena

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  3. hatcherkid777

hatcherkid777 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2013
    It is possible it could be spraddle leg it would help if you posted pics here is a link about spraddle leg

4. Dudu

Jul 20, 2011
    Ħal Luqa, Malta
    Thanks so much, will try to take a video tomorrow. Am reading the link, thanks so much, I didn't know about it.

5. hatcherkid777

hatcherkid777 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2013
    No problem

6. Dudu

Jul 20, 2011
    Ħal Luqa, Malta
    Adding photos (battery too low to make a video, aaargh!), but I'm afraid they don't really illustrate the problem - however, s/he seems to be able to stand and even walk, but when walking, after a few steps either falls on the side, or flips over on the back, but immediately corrects herself and continues to walk. I read some from the website (above) and I am thinking of bringing him a buddy from the same litter, but at the same time afraid that the buddy might accidentally push my sickie unnecessarily.

I also added poly-vitamins for poultry to the water this morning (our day is just starting now, it's almost 7 am).

Last night I found him comfortable with a full crop. This morning I assisted him to drink, but I think he drinks on his own also.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    He would probably love company--just watch them to make sure he doesn't get picked on.

8. Dudu

Jul 20, 2011
    Ħal Luqa, Malta
    Thanks, will try that out then, although tonight I found him sleeping peacefully under the pink teddy bear that I put in there for him. But I think I'll bring him a buddy soon.

Small update - he seems to be able to walk more without falling over. Really moves around a lot, eats and drinks. I soooo hope it was just his mom stepping on him maybe. He doesn't seem to have anything visibly wrong with his leggies. We'll see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by