1 week old chick suddenly cant walk rapidly dying HELP PL

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bookychook, Jan 17, 2011.

1. bookychook

bookychook New Egg

Jan 17, 2011
    Australian bushrat
    One of 3 beautiful chicks in Australia appeared healthy this morning now cant walk (no injury) & appears to be dying very quickly. We have treated our free range flock of 14 mixed breeds according to directions with Piperazine as per directions and moved their ark (Free range but housed at night). Has ad lib fresh water and chick crumbs. Can you help us save our baby? Lost 2 chicks from last hatching same way one month ago. [​IMG] Thankyou we love our bickens. My first post sorry for lack of detail about me but this is urgent. Just reg'd but have followed your forums for months and love it.

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Try to give it some electrolytes in water(pedialyte, gatorade, etc) with an eye dropper-barring that, add some sugar in water and try to get it to drink.
    Any bloody poos in the brooder box?
    Not being able to walk is the only symptom you've seen?

3. bookychook

bookychook New Egg

Jan 17, 2011
    Australian bushrat
    Thankyou for being so quick, no bloody poos in brooder box. Chick gone rapidly limp & lethargic, runny poo, opens & closing beak. It was full of beans yesterday. will hunt quickly for electrolytes it did drink about an hour ago. we have 2 other week old chicks. Could it be gapeworm?

4. bookychook

bookychook New Egg

Jan 17, 2011
    Australian bushrat
    Peeps just died [​IMG] Symptoms progressed very suddenly started gaping so suspect gapeworm & we do free range but peeps was only 7 days old. Looked into her throat but no sign of worm. Coop & feed/water hygiene good. Have researched and will get Levamisole asap to treat flock just in case. Glad we have finally joined up with you all; great to know there are other chicken lovers around. We never lost any peeps before but this year we have lost 2 from our last hatching and now this. Any suggestions on how to safekeep our 2 remaining fluffbutts? Many thanks

5. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    If I understand correctly, they were being allowed outside, on the ground time, right?
    If so, it is possible that it was gapeworm.
    Sometimes with young chicks, though, they just don't make it for whatever reason.
    Had you wormed the baby chicks as well with the Piperazine, or just the adults>
    Sorry about the little one. [​IMG]

6. bookychook

bookychook New Egg

Jan 17, 2011
    Australian bushrat
    Quote:Thanks Easttchick! They free range on over an acre during day & are locked up at night. we had wormed adults twice as per directions prior to hatching, moved the ark, provided clean straw & roosts etc. we only saw a few worms passed after first worming. (I have kept chooks for about 6 years) We wormed the 7 day old chicks water yesterday with Piperazine as soon as we found the sick chick. as we have never had a problem until the last hatching and they range over an acre of country we never thought it could be worm buildup but perhaps. The remaining 2 seem ok this morning but so did the third yesterday morning. My son and I do have a cold and we have held the chicks so perhaps we caused it? we love to hold the chicks and they get used to trusting us as part of the flock in a way. Now we just have to hope that the other 2 don't succumb as it is heartbreaking. Regards.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by