1 week old chick treats

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ClairedeLune, Aug 8, 2009.

1. ClairedeLune

ClairedeLune Songster

Apr 13, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    OK, so I have 23 week old RIR pullets. I have a favorite, Louise, and I'm also keeping 4 others. I want to give the whole flock some treats and get Louise to like me more. [​IMG] So, does anyone know good treats for 1 week olds? I know not to give them citrus...
    Thanks!

2. ladyj

ladyj Chirping

Nov 16, 2008
    east texas
    [​IMG] hi,
    you can chop up some greens (lettuce, kale etc) really fine and give them a teaspoon full kinda scattered around and let them scratch for it. mine love it!![​IMG]

3. Yoko

Yoko Songster

Aug 10, 2008
    SanDiego,California
  4. ClairedeLune

ClairedeLune Songster

Apr 13, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    Okay, thanks!

5. Graiae66

Graiae66 In the Brooder

Aug 3, 2009
    Georgia
    My little ones apparently (today was first day we tried it) LOVE yogurt mixed with their regular feed. They also like bits of millet--they like ripping the stalk apart. [​IMG]

dee

6. ClairedeLune

ClairedeLune Songster

Apr 13, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    Millet? what's that? Is it some type of green?
    I'll get them some yogurt when I go to the store.

7. Yoko

Yoko Songster

Aug 10, 2008
    SanDiego,California
    "Millets are a small-seeded species of cereal crops or grains"
    Gewd Chicken Treats they make [​IMG]
    -Yoko :3

8. ClairedeLune

ClairedeLune Songster

Apr 13, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    Huh, thanks for telling me. Can you get them at a grocery store?

9. Yoko

Yoko Songster

Aug 10, 2008
    SanDiego,California
    I dont know about the grocery store but I know you can prolly get them at yur local feed store S:
    -Yoko :3

10. ChickLit

ChickLit Songster

Jul 1, 2009
    Sheridan, Oregon
    I saw millet sprays in the pet bird/wild bird section of Walmart yesterday, so it's possible you might find them in the grocery store's pet section (my market's section is HUGE!). Thanks for the tip on that!

I've read several times on this forum that mashed-up hard boiled egg and plain yogurt are fine for the little ones, but if you're going to give them anything more, things that take a bit of digestion, they need to have grit. I'm giving mine Chick Grit (found at the feed store), which is ground a bit smaller for the little guys, but at first I gave them parakeet grit (at grocery store or Walmart) which is really fine (I strained the larger bits of rock out) and they went insane for it!

Mine didn't develop a real taste for eggs or yogurt until they were about 3-4 weeks. They'll be 6 weeks old tomorrow and now they've gotten seriously hip to treats! [​IMG] LOL Oh, and they love banana! One will steal a piece and run...with all the others chasing...hysterical!!

The treat chart that Yoko posted is an excellent reference, just don't give them anything too radical at a week old. Good luck with your babies [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: