1 week old chick walking on toes, one leg out to side a bit

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SoManyHats, Nov 24, 2013.

1. SoManyHats

SoManyHats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    Winchester, VA
    When we first got her in the mail as a day old chick, she could only walk a few steps, then she'd sit down. I figured I'd have to cull her, but she's getting more mobile every day. The problem is she isn't walking correctly, she's just adapted, and she won't survive "in the real world" when it's time to leave the brooder. So I'm wondering if there's something I can do. Here is the best picture I could get of her on her legs - she just sits so much.

[​IMG]

Her one leg is at an odd angle to her body, and she tends to walk on her toes. I appreciate any help.

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    you could try looking at splay or spraddle legs and keep her on a good grip flooring like the shelf liner with the little bumps on it. supposed to keep things from sliding around

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Okay, get her on some vitamins right away. If you have chick vitamins, great, and if you have some PolyVisol baby vitamins (no iron) you can use those at 2 drops daily. Taping toes may be helpful. Your chick may have a vitamin deficiency (curling toes,) and a slipped achilles tendon. Here is a great site for treating those things including taping toes: https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by