1 week old chick with bald butt- Advice please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tamma, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Tamma

Tamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2012
    Adkins, TX
    Well, I raised my 3 RSL to hens so I thought I knew what I was doing. Now I'm stuck. I have 5 polish chicks 1 week old. First I put them on pine shavings like I did with the first and they started eating them. So they are on paper towels.
    One chick started getting it's butt fuzz picked off, don't know what started it. So I separated the little SLP-Glenda. She is in a box with separate food and water, sharing the heat lamp with the others. But she cried all afternoon. I was keeping her on my neck under my hair for warmth to comfort her whenever I was watching TV but I can't sit around all day.
    I was reading on here about heating pads. I am going to try one today and see if I can get the temp right. But what should I put on her bum? It's a little red but not bleeding. I have read about blue-cote and ichthamol. What's good for chicks? And is it just to cover the area so chicks will not pick or is it for healing as well?
    I read about needing protein as well. They are on chick starter and I haven't given them any extra stuff. I did order meal worms for them that I will start giving as a treat soon.
    Please, any advice is welcome. I read so many conflicting opinions, it's very hard.
    THANKS!

2. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    I would blue-cote her hiney (careful not to get any on yourself!) and put her back with the rest. I have a chick with a bare spot on her rump right now from pasty butt. I had to rub her down so much all the feathers around/below her vent came off. :/. She is fine with the others though as there is no redness. If you get rid of the red they should leave her alone.

She should be getting all the protein she needs from the starter, so no worries on that but treats are always a good thing. :)

3. Tamma

Apr 2, 2012
    Adkins, TX
    Thanks!! I will buy the blue-cote and give it a try. This is so crazy! These polish act completely different from the RSLs when I was raising them.

4. Tamma

Apr 2, 2012
    Adkins, TX
    Well, I looked all over for blue-cote. None of the feed stores around me carry it. So they talked me in to Rooster Booster Pick-No-More. It seems to work until it wears off and I have to just keep applying it. There is no redness. And this chick keeps getting pasty-butt. I have cleaned her off 5 times. I'm thinking of trimming her hair around her vent so it doesn't keep getting plastered. I guess I was really lucky with my first chicks not having any of these problems.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  5. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Very lucky, I have never had chicks without at least a mild case or two. After you apply the no-pick try putting some olive oil directly on/below the vent. It helps the poo slide off instead of sticking.

6. Tamma

Apr 2, 2012
    Adkins, TX
    Great idea! I'll try it.
    Thanks!

7. Tamma

Apr 2, 2012
    Adkins, TX
    Well, the Rooster Booster Pick-no-more worked for my little chick. I kept cleaning her bum and putting it on. She has a fuzzy little bum again and is doing fine. Thanks for your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by