1 Week Old Chicks Eating All the Grit

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by St1ckyBum, Jul 3, 2016.

1. St1ckyBum

St1ckyBum Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2014
    Hi guys - I just got my first batch of chicks in. They are a mixed batch of 7. They seem to be doing pretty well so far (no pasty butt) but I have an issue with the chicks eating grit. The first day the chickies ate starter - they definitely know what starter is as they have gone through quite a bit of it. Then I started offering some scrambled egg and finely chopped fruits and vegetables - about a teaspoon at a time a couple times a day. I was sprinkling chick grit on top and sprinkling on top of their chick feed as well (to make sure they were eating it because all were partaking in the eggs/fruit/veggies) but I wasn't sure all were getting the grit. So I put a tiny lid of it in there with about a tablespoon of grit and 1 hour later I went back and it is all gone. I put another tsp in and watched them all rush over and start to devour it and so I quickly pulled it out before they ate it all. Now I am not sure what to do. Do I keep sprinkling it on top of fresh food? Do I continue to offer it free choice and let them fill up on rocks until they figure it out? Or do I stop offering food other than starter? I started putting them outside in the grass and they are eating ants also.

???[​IMG]???

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  2. mustang56

mustang56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2012
    I never have put grit in chicks food, or their pen. We always grind up there food to the consistency of fine dirt.
    And honestly never gave them table food until after they were 6 weeks old...
    and have very healthy chicks.
    Putting them out in the grass....is good for them, for short periods of time and then building up on the time
    their out. helps them build up the immunity to coccidiosis...
    By the way, your picture of the chick with top hat is adorable...!

1 person likes this.
  3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Don't worry about your chicks eating too much grit. They are outfitting their gizzards and when they reach capacity, they won't be interested as much in gobbling it down except to replace that which is worn and pooped out.

Continue to offer grit on the side rather than putting it in their food. They will take what they need.

1 person likes this.
  4. mustang56

mustang56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2012
    I was told that Purina Start & Grow had all the necessary grit already added.
    I really wouldn't want them filling up on grit, instead of their food....?

I may be wrong.... but I honestly never gave young chicks grits on the side...
    and all my chickens are full grown an healthy...

5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I've never bought grit either. Chickens and even baby chicks will find grit that they need as long as they're on natural terrain. If you feed them anything other than chick starter and you're keeping your chicks confined to a brooder box, they will need additional grit along with crumbles if you feed them stuff.

When I brought home my latest chicks that had only hatched the day before, I turned them loose in their sand brooder pen. They spent all the first day gobbling up sand. They barely touched their chick food.

The second day, they were still eating sand, but not as much, and they began getting interested in their food. By the third day, the sand was old news and they had quit consuming it. As long as chicks have plenty of fresh water, they will flush out any excess matter such as wood shavings, which they love to consume, too, sand, and grit.

Nothing bad happened to my chicks from eating sand, and nothing will happen if yours eat too much grit.

2 people like this.
  6. St1ckyBum

St1ckyBum Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2014
    Well I went with @Azygous and put a small container of grit in there and continued to give them small treats. They did exactly as predicted, filled up on the grit then moved to the food. All is well! Thank you for the advice!

7. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Your thread will help a lot of other new chick keepers, so thank you for posting the question!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by