1 week old chicks going outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by stevearino, Sep 21, 2012.

1. stevearino

stevearino Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2012
    Southeast Arizona
    Hello! I just brought home 6 chicks today, 4 buff orpingtons and 2 rhode island reds. They are about 9 days old. For the moment, I have them in a plastic brooder box with a heat lamp, but I'd like to take them outside during the day. I know that during the night it can be too cold and other scary factors, but is there a problem with 1 week old chicks playing around on the ground during the day? Or is it too early for them?

I live in Arizona so the daytime is usually around 90-something anyways, and it is a dry-heat so not much humidity to wear them down.

Thanks for any advice or tips. :)

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I'd certainly have them out during the day. They will love it. I raise them in the coop, anyway. You'd be surprised how well they will tolerate the lower temps, as long as they have a place to go warm up and get out of the wind when they feel the need. I've seen 3 week olds avoid the heat lamp in 70's night temps.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  3. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    They will love to be outside during the day, if they have a secure area. I use a cage without the bottom for mine so they can scratch around in the dirt/grass but are safe from the older chickens or any predator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by