1 week old chicks, happy to dead in hours

Dawnica

Chirping
Aug 13, 2015
We've had chickens for years, but this is our first batch of babies.
The 12 RIR chicks arrived 9 days ago from hatchery. I don't know which hatchery because this is a "chick chain" project my daughter is doing through 4-H and our local extension office. They are in a brand new box, with a brand new waterer, brand new feeder, brand new heat lamp, etc. No other animal has ever touched anything that is in their box. They seem happy with the temperature (95 for the first week, but lamp raised a few inches yesterday). They sleep in the light, but run all over when awake. Their food and water are just outside the light circle.

Occasionally they have had runny brown poops, but all acted like healthy happy chicks. I didn't even know coccidiosis was a thing, but after two chicks went from running around to dead within hours (though 3 days apart) I'm starting to suspect it. I'll get some Corid this morning. How could they have contracted it with no contact with other animals? Everyone seems perfectly healthy, but so did the two that died. Just to make sure, 2tsp Corid per gallon is fine for chicks, right?

We have to give back 3 hens after the summer, and I really wanted a flock bigger than 7! Maybe I'll pick up a few more chicks to add...
Thanks for any input!

Coccidosis is a bacteria in their poop so it is not a thing that they have to always contract from other chickens. I have not used corid before but 3tsp per gallon seems way to strong for chicks. The other thing i would suspect is wry neck. Did the chicks look like their necks were bent weird when they died? Sorry for your loss:hugs

Just noticed the corid dosage and that is not right it should be less than half a tsp per gallon
That is not correct.
The dose for PREVENTION is 1/2 tsp liquid Corid per gallon of water.
The dose for TREATMENT with a mild outbreak is 1 tsp liquid Corid per gallon of water.
The dose for TREATMENT with a severe outbreak (deaths would be considered severe) is 2 tsp liquid Corid per gallon of water.
The OP is correct on the dilution rate.

Coccidosis is a bacteria in their poop so it is not a thing that they have to always contract from other chickens. I have not used corid before but 3tsp per gallon seems way to strong for chicks. The other thing i would suspect is wry neck. Did the chicks look like their necks were bent weird when they died? Sorry for your loss:hugs
OP said 2tsp per gallon.
Chickens won't die from an overdose on corid very easily. The main reason for the dosage is to not waste corid. 2tsp is the correct treatment. 3tsp would not kill them but it is more than what's needed.

Last edited:
image.jpeg
I got dosage of 2tsp/gal from another thread on BYC, but it was for hens. I just wanted to make sure it was the same for chicks.
They have starter crumbles, no grit yet. They dig around a lot and probably have eaten a few bits of shavings and/or paper, but nothing noticeable. It's my daughter's project and the starter crumbles she got Nutrena Nature Wise, and it doesn't say medicated. She was very insistent that since they were vaccinated she needed non-medicated starter...
I gave them electrolyte for the first few days and they have had plain water for about a week now.
I'm going to look up wry neck, especially since the first one looked like it's neck was broken. Meanwhile, here is a pic of their setup.

Back
Top Bottom