1 week old chicks in the garage Lights on during the day?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 4urbanchicks, May 17, 2010.

1. 4urbanchicks

4urbanchicks In the Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    We have our 1 week old chicks in the garage, and if the lights are off in there the only light comes from their heat lamp. I have been leaving the overhead lights on during the day, and then just giving them their heatlamp for light at night. It is pretty dark in the garage with just their lamp, with no windows, so I hesitate to let this be their only light source 24-7. Does this sound okay?

Also, we are going to start trying to hold them, but I have asked my daughter to hold her hands over the brooder, in case they some how get away. I really do not want them crashing to the concrete garage floor and then running off under something never to be found again!

Karey

2. I have raised two batches in the garage. I leave the light on during the day plus the heat lamp. Both batches have done fine. I also have a chicken tractor that they go out into when the weather is nice (and I am at home) after they feather out.

I think you will be fine. I like to get mine used to the light cycle, that is why I used the garage overhead lights during the day.

3. 4urbanchicks

4urbanchicks In the Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    Quote:Thanks! We have purchased a chicken tractor too! How do you like yours?

4. I love my chicken tractor. I will get a photo on here. We let the little ones out of the dog kennel and send them out the barn door, across the lawn and into the tractor. There is a learning curve, and we are still trying to master getting out of the barn all together. My kids and I use cardboard pannels and kinda drive them like little piggies. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: