1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

1 week old chicks losing feathers

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Natalie barker, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Natalie barker

Natalie barker New Egg

Mar 28, 2016
    Hi
    I hatched 10 quail chicks last weekend and they have been active, eating, drinking and sleeping as I had hoped.
    Suddenly today they have all lost feathers in their wing area and I can see the tiny wing bones on all of them. I haven't seen any fighting, pecking, irritated behaviour and have been watching them a lot this evening. I have checked and can't see any mites on them.

Tried researching online and seen some mentions they may have too much heat or light so I've moved them to a room we hardly use so they get normal day/night light and proper peace (were in our lounge until now). I've also raised the brooder slightly to give them less heat.

Any other ideas? Have I missed something?

Really worried, they were doing so well and don't want them to be stressed! Thanks!

2. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    I do not know quail. But could it just be molting? Chick's go through several molts while growing into their adult feathers.

3. Em Ty

Em Ty Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2013
    St. Clements, ON
    It's likely just that their adult feathers are coming in. They don't look anywhere near as cute as it's going on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by