1 week old chicks, when can we start treats?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Our7Wonders, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Our7Wonders

Our7Wonders Out Of The Brooder

my new chickies seem to be doing great, all appear to be happy and healthy. My garden is producing tons of cherry tomatoes, almost faster than I can harvest and some are splitting before I can get to them all. I thought the chicks might appreciate a few of these, if not now then real soon. When can I start giving them occasional treats? I have chick grit but have not begun to feed it to them yet since they have been only on thier starter feed. Do I need to make sure they get grit a day or two before I add any treats?

Oh, and yogurt. Is that generally only used when chicks need extra nourishment (sick/wounded) or is that a good supplemental thing for them? If its a regular addition, when can that be added?

Appreciate your help, I'm such a newbie and a confessed perfectionist, so I'm wanting to make sure I do everything JUST RIGHT.

Thanks,
    Debbi

2. Our7Wonders

Our7Wonders Out Of The Brooder

Silly me! [​IMG] I just found the "Good treats for baby chicks" thread and had my questions answered. Sorry I posted before searching a little more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by