1 week old chicks with 3 day old chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by blily2, Mar 22, 2012.

1. blily2

blily2 New Egg

Mar 22, 2012
    Hello! I purchased some baby chicks a week ago (six of them) and have been raising them in my brooder. They are happy and healthy and it's been a lot of fun. I want to purchase two or three more baby chicks in the next couple days and am wondering if I can put them all together in one brooder? Thanks!

2. weimlikeschicks

weimlikeschicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2012
    I have ten, four day old chicks in with three, week to week and a half old chicks. So far no issues, but it's only been 5 hours or so. Two of the younger ones are bantams as well, so I am keeping a really close eye on what happens in the brooder. I are prepared to make another brooder if need be, honestly I'll probably have to once they get larger anyway.

I'd just go for it, I feel like now is the time and a week difference is better than months later when you decide you really do want more chickens. I could be way off though, hopefully someone else chimes in.

3. gapeach717

gapeach717 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga
    i think you will be fine at that age. i have 6 that are 2 weeks and 2 days, 5 that are 1 week and 2 days, and 6 that are 6 days all in the same brooder and its one bi snuggle pile!

4. golden reeves

golden reeves Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2011
    SW Minnesota
    chickens are pretty docile at that age you should be fine

5. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    They will be fine, but sometimes they can be bullies, pecking each other ! you will have to watch them to make sure they dont over do it !!

6. blily2

blily2 New Egg

Mar 22, 2012
    Great! Thank you all for the advice. I really appreciate it!

7. weimlikeschicks

weimlikeschicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2012
    For what it's worth I have no issues. The Red is a bit peckish sometimes but not damaging, she is just clearly the largest and the rest seem to really get along. Actually the young BOs are the more rambunctious ones. The have their favorites; the bantams actually split up, one likes a group of BOs, the other is very fond of one of the older EE.

Good luck

8. m_shuman

m_shuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Springfield, GA
    Last year I brooded chicks that were a total of 2 weeks apart and had no problems at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by