1 week old cuckoo maran very unbalanced and getting worse - w/ video

robdolbs

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 21, 2010
Hello, I really need help! My mother and I have wanted chickens for a long time and we have done alot of research so we would be prepared for when they came. We ordered 7 baby chicks (all different breeds - 2 Buff Orps, 1 Australorp, 1 Jersey Giant, 1 Speckled Sussex, 1 Golden Laced Wyandotte, and 1 Cuckoo Maran) from Meyer Hatchery and they came last Tuesday. A couple of days ago we started to notice that the Cuckoo was holding her left wing a little lower than the other and was becoming very clumsy. She was getting a little jostled around by the others as well, because she was visibly not as strong. Yesterday we seperated her because she was getting knocked over and was very unbalanced at that point. Also, we found her lying very oddly on her side and couldn't right herself. All yesterday we were feeding her bits of egg yolk and some cheese. We also put vitamins A, D and E in her water. We have had to use a dropper to get her to drink. Most of the time she will eat out of our hands though.
We were searching the forums all yesterday to find people who had related symptoms and that is why we fed her the egg, cheese, and vitamins. Those were answers that others found helpful. I also found a post about a woman who was very experienced and raised lots of chicks and she said she had many with those symptoms and that she seperated them for a couple days and then they were fine again. The chicks she talked about sounded exactly like Cuckoo!
The chicks have all been vaccinated and are on pine bedding, except Cuckoo who is in the box they came in with paper towel over the top.

I have uploaded a video to YouTube so you can see what I am dealing with. I really want to solve this problem.

Any kind of response is greatly appreciated and please do ask questions, because I am sure I've left something out.

Thanks!

-Robyn

PS. We have just gotten her some Polyvisol (w/o iron) today and I have given her a drop of that.

Last edited:
It sounds like youre doing everything right. I really hope she gets better for you, and i know it can be hard, but sometimes chicks just die no matter how hard you try.
in the video she looked just weak, so maybe thats it, but im not sure if shes getting worse. Good luck.

At least if I am doing everything right and she does die, I will know I did everything I could.
This morning she looked pretty bad and then got better throughout the day and is now not really changing. Thank you!

I definitely will
smile.png

She is extremely cute
smile.png
but I don't think paralysis is the case because earlier today she started scratching her face with her foot lol, so she can definitely move her legs.
No improvement so far though....

Hi, just wanted to say that we have seen some definite improvement now. She has been on polyvisol (3 drops a day) for a full day and had 2 drops yesterday. I will continue with this and hopefully she keeps improving! She is more balanced and is now able to right herself when she falls over to one side. Very keen on trying to walk by herself and food consumption without help has also improved.
big_smile.png

I've had great luck with Poly-vi-sol without iron, but putting electrolytes in the water can also be helpful. I have a bird that required an antibiotic as well as the vitamins and electrolytes, so watch her carefully to make sure she is on the mend.

Back
Top Bottom