1 week old duckling dying in my hands

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KatGold, Jan 13, 2013.

1. KatGold

KatGold Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    One hour ago, she was perfect, loud, alert, fine. Now, she's listless and appears to be about to die.

She's in the incubator now.

Have no idea what's happening. Don't have anything to offer. My daughters may have given her swim time in the sink, could she possibly have drowned?

Don't expect much, but casting a net.

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Keep her warm, and maybe see if you can get some vitamins and/or sugar water into her. Don't push the issue, you don't want her to aspirate. Did you check her vent to make sure she's not pasted up? That could be the issue if you haven't.

3. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    What are you feeding the duckling? Medicated chick starter is toxic to ducklings.

4. KatGold

Mar 15, 2011
    She is in the incubator right now where it's nice and warm.

I checked her vent, it was not pastey. I gave it a gentle squeeze and a little clear liquid came out.

I made some vitamin water with sugar and dipped her bill into it 3 times. Then I put her back in the bator.

While in the bator, she lies on her side with her head down on its side. She's breathing. Her eyes are shut. When I picked her up to dip her bill and check her vent, she perks up a little, but is very weak.

5. KatGold

Mar 15, 2011
    She's been getting non-medicated organic chick starter. The brand, Coyote Creek, is a reputable, local farmer.

6. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
  7. KatGold

Mar 15, 2011
    That link didn't work. Do you have another?

8. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    I found this site to have some helpfull tips and advice. animal-health.library4farming.org/.../Diseases-of-Ducks.html

9. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    I also have ducks. I found these sites to be helpfull. I hope they can help you. [​IMG]

10. KatGold

Mar 15, 2011
    Thanks PA. I am looking through them now. I don't see any first aid type stuff, which is the only that that would help now, but I don't even think that would help. I think she's a goner. :-(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by