1 week old Mandarin baby not walking right

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenlisa, Jun 21, 2011.

1. chickenlisa

chickenlisa Invincible Summer

Apr 9, 2007
    its leg is weird- out to the side a little and bent/twisted funny. They're all in a brooder box and hoppy crazy when I go out there, so I think it may have injured it...what do I do to help it get straight and still be able to get around?

2. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Don't know but here's a bump!

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Perhaps spraddle leg? do a search and it should give some pics. you basically take a band aid, cut it in 1/2 long ways, wrap one end around one leg, the pad is in the middle, then wrap the other arm around the other leg. Keep the legs in a normal stance, about shoulder width.

4. chickenlisa

chickenlisa Invincible Summer

Apr 9, 2007
    I did that last night, but then it just lay there leaning on its chest with the legs sticking out and back. I ended up just wrapping first aid tape (soft kind) around top top part of its leg and then left the knee free but continued the tape down to the bottom part of the leg so it can still bend the knee but hopefully the tape will keep the top and bottom parts reasonably in line. Don't know though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by