1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

1 Week Old Showgirl Chick Failing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by inky123, Jul 20, 2011.

1. inky123

inky123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    One week ago, we had 6 showgirl chicks hatch. They eggs were hatched under our Brahma Bantam hens, who are quite broody and just the best mothers. In addition to the showgirls, we hatched 15 assorted bantams and 3 silkies. All the chicks have been doing well with their various momma hens. Today when I went to the hen house, one of the Showgirl chicks was laying on the floor with its head down. It was alive, but clearly lethargic and its right eye did not look right...almost closed. I brought it in away from the other chicks and gave it electrolytes, vitamins and a little applesauce mixed with its medicated chick feed. It perked up for a little bit, but then began laying with its head down again. The chick has been on medicated chick starter and has been eating/pooping normally. The weather is extremely hot, but the chicken house is very well insulated, has a window fan to circulate the air, and is quite comfortable even in this heat. Until this morning, this little chick looked absolutely fine. All of the other chicks appear to be well. I am new to little chicks and am at a loss as to what this could be and what to do for it. We love our pet chickens, and it is so sad to watch this little guy lying around like this; if someone could tell me anything I should be looking for or doing, I would so appreciate the advice. Thank you in advance for any help.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  2. 1 hen and 1 roo

1 hen and 1 roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Ouachita Mountains
    Chicks need to be warm even in this heat (90 to 95 degrees the first week of life and then decrease by 5 each week after). They also do not need to be in a draft area. Is your fan blowing on them? Do you have multi hens in the brooder area with the chicks? Could it be possible that the chick has been pecked by one of the other hens? Or maybe even by another chick? Chicks do sleep a lot the first few weeks.
    I hope you get some answers and that it gets better.

3. inky123

inky123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We've been watching the temperature in the hen house and it has been staying in the low 90's. The fan is in an upper window (about 6 feet above the floor area) and can't blow down toward the chicks; it's really just to circulate the air and keep the temperature in check during the current heatwave. I wondered if he/she could have been pecked by another hen or chick, but I couldn't find any marks or spots on him and they eye doesn't look damaged like it has been pecked. (I'm assuming the eye would look damaged if it had been pecked?) I think what concerns me most is that it is so lethargic...when I put it in the brooder box it just lays down flat and cheeps. I have done a lot of volunteer work with kittens over the years and know that they can suffer from "fading kitten syndrome" where an apparently healthy kitten will suddenly become lethargic and pass very quickly with no apparent medical reason. I am wondering if this can also happen in chicks? Again, thanks for responding...we are hoping it will recover quickly.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by