1 week old silkie bad foot and undeveloped wing. What can I do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Franzoo, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Franzoo

Franzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2016
    [​IMG]

2. Franzoo

May 8, 2016

3. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    He probably just hops in circles, you should name him nemo.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can it put it's foot down and walk around? Did you hatch the silkie? There can be some leg problems after hatch that can be sue to hatching temperature spikes or heredity. A slipped tendon or a leg bone deformity are some of the problems seen. Sometimes splinting the leg with a lot of padding and a pip cleaner or popsicle stick and vet wrap or tape can help. Poultry vitamins in the water would be something I would do. I am not sure if there is anything you can do about the wing. Is the baby chick able to get to food and water okay?

1 person likes this.
  5. tedschickens

tedschickens Just Hatched

Jul 31, 2016
    II have a similar situation except straight back or "up if i forced her to stand and twisted outward with a swollen hock . Start splinting the leg now!!!!!!! [​IMG] I started with elastic sports wrap tape you can get at any drug store or walmart type place and go on youtube and wrap it similar to spayed leg but use a little piece if star or a coffee stir stick and pad it with the tape and give her a peg leg. I also stretch my chickens leg daily and move it around so iy doesn't get stuck being straight. IF you can take it into a vet. They normally will tell you how to wrap it and do and exam to check all the joints and tendons but you might able to stretch it a little now while she is still growing in a week or so it will be to late.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. Franzoo

May 8, 2016
    Hatched with "foster mom" It's almost died when got stuck outside of nest,2 others laying on it. It was cold. I revived it. Seemed fine until 2 days ago. I tried splinting, but I felt bad for it. I was afraid I didn't do it correctly. It's hopping to its food. Keep pecking it's foot. If I splint, do I take it off every day? I gave electrolytes in water. It's a tiny silkie.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  7. Franzoo

May 8, 2016
    https://vault.myvzw.com/webcs/app/share/invite/W7xwnfAJMC

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would probably not splint it, and let it run around and strengthen it. That is up to you. Many chicks with these leg problems do not make it or are culled, but I would try to let it try to get along if you have time to give it extra care. Can you put another chick in with it for play time and socialization, or is it already with the others? I have not had a lot with leg disorders, but it is important to give them vitamins which sometimes helps if there is a deficiency. Can you look at PoultryPediaPodiatry website by Googling it? It has a lot suggestions for leg problems in chicks. I will send you the link later when I'm on the computer if you haven't found it yet.

9. Franzoo

May 8, 2016
    Thank you Eggcessive! I looked all night. Lol! I realize I should cull.[​IMG] if it makes it, it'll be pet only. This is what I came up with. Thanks to all the videos. I believe it was the last to hatch,48hrs after the others. It's probably male too. It's determined. Lol![​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by