1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

1 week old today - is it to cold?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Asgard Farms, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Asgard Farms

Asgard Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Belton, TX
    My babys are a week old today [​IMG]

it's 81 degrees outside - with a forcasted low of 74

there are 12 of them.

do they need the heat lamp tonight? Just dont want them to be to hot. They are all sunggled up together sleeping but not shivvering.

How warm does their body heat keep them?

Can't decide what to do!!! HELP

Patti
    Central Texas

2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I would go ahead and keep the lamp on them and watch them to see how they respond. If they're trying to get away from it, then you know they're too hot. Try to put it near one corner so they can successfully get away from it if needed.

I kept a lamp on mine until they no longer gathered under the lamp when they went to sleep.

For mine that took 'til almost 2 weeks. Then i pulled the lamp, and they were fine.

3. Asgard Farms

Asgard Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Belton, TX
    ok, I'll run out there and turn it on for a bit and see how they do. They have learned out to get into the nesting box area (it's higher, they love it) So they a can get away from the lamp there.

I can leave the vents open too so they have options.

Had no idea the coop was so well insulated. When it was down in the low 50's they were toasty warm.

Patti

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by