1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

1 week old today...pics

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dwegg, Feb 13, 2011.

1. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

Here are my 5 ameraucanas....4x blue and 1x ? black...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4x BCM with feathered legs....
    [​IMG]

and here is my other BCM 'special needs' chick with crooked neck...he eats by himself and I have been giving him water by an eye dropper with vitamins/electrolytes in but yesterday I noticed that he is now drinking from the waterer by himself. I was going to cull but couldn't do it myself and took my sweet time to research how and get advice ect and in the mean time he just grew stronger and stronger and is developing the same as the others eating, drinking, pooping just like everyone? I just don't know what to do?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Am I doing him and me a disservice by not culling? Has anyone had a chick that lead a successful and full life like this?

2. Heckel's Hens

Heckel's Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Southern VA
    Those are gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!! And my most sought after breeds, so I am way jealous. LOL CONGRATS! The last pic is precious.

3. begbfg

begbfg Barnyard Beckie

Feb 11, 2011
    Roxboro, NC
    So sweet! Love the last pic! Sorry about your special guy! I guess you could let nature take it's course and see what happens. He's a beautiful chick! Congrats!

4. dwegg

Yes I will let nature take it's course...I have stopped giving him water and he is now getting it on his own. We will of course keep him if he survives to adulthood...h opefully he won't crow if his neck is like that. He can just live out his life and enjoy the girls and the sun!

5. blue_egg_lover

blue_egg_lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2011
    Very cute! Sorry about your lil guy, poor baby. I hope he does well. You're doing a good job with him by the sounds of it [​IMG]

6. Justanother Brooke

Justanother Brooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2011
    Goldendale, WA
    Awwww, super cute! Stupid question though, what breed is BCM?

7. jenesis536

jenesis536 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2010
    CA
    I would just wait and see.... that last pic is adorable!

8. mboreham1

mboreham1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Carmichael, CA
    i think BCM = Black Copper Maran?

9. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Super Cute!!!

10. dwegg

yep..Black Copper Marran ... and they are all getting so big and strong so fast and jumping and flapping about. I am going to move them to their bigger brooder down stairs where there is a lot more room as the 7 week olds spent their first night in the 'grow-out' coop last night...and i think they enjoyed it (heat lamp of course!)... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by