1 week old today! Pictures! Questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chick2good4u, May 26, 2008.

1. chick2good4u

chick2good4u Chillin' With My Peeps

My RIR are 1 week old today. Aren't they cute! They are still narcoleptic [​IMG] , but my how they grow! Got a question though, do some chicks 'develop' faster then others? All seem healthy and haven't lost any, but a couple aren't feathering out as fast. Also my PR is a little slower feathering/smaller too is that normal? Pics for comparison are below.

[​IMG]
    group picture

[​IMG]
    Partridge rock

[​IMG]
    The one one the right is smaller & less feathered. Normal?

[​IMG]
    Slightly lighter then the others

[​IMG]
    The biggest of the bunch

[​IMG]
    My daughter and her favorite

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    They do develop at different rates...my new hampshire red which is from the RIR developed the fastest...my australorps and wyandotte came next then my ameraucana and my light brahma.

They look good at a week old...very normal looking babies to me.

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  3. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Yes, some develop faster. At 6 weeks, my Easter Eggers are large and fully feathered while my Black Australorps are lagging behind a bit - some are fully feathered, others are smaller and only 3/4 feathered. [​IMG]

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Like Cetawin and Chicken Toes stated, they do develop at different rates. My white leghorn has been the fastest! She started getting tail and wing feathers at two days old!!! [​IMG] The RIR's seem to feather out pretty quickly as well, but not as fast as the leghorns do. As long as your chicks are all acting healthy and normal, I wouldn't worry one bit about them. They will be grown up before you know it. [​IMG]

By the way! Your babies sure are cute! [​IMG]

5. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
  6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I'm seeing a considerable amount of variation in rate of feathering out, probably as much or more *within* breeds as between, but they all seem to be chugging their way along towards the same endpoint and all seem healthy and active. So I think it's normal?

Pat

7. chick2good4u

chick2good4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Pat, you're right. All are supposed to be RIR pullets except 1, the PR. I does seem as if they are feathering at different rates, but they do seem very healthy, lively and inquisitive. I ordered 10, got 12 and all are still with us. They have at least doubled in size since last week. Is it normal for the PR to be slightly smaller/lighter then the RIRs? Thanks.

Tracie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by