1 week old

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LVchicks, Feb 13, 2013.

1. LVchicks

LVchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2013
    So far, so good. Culled that one little cross beak (BO) but all the others are doing well. Had a wee bit of pasty butt on a couple their last day on paper towels but now that they are on shavings everyone has clean fuzzy butts. They are flying and perching well.
    Some have almost completely feathered out their wings already and many have tail feathers. My EE are getting BIG. They were the biggest chicks when they arrived and are just getting bigger and bigger. My RIR are the runts. Two are just tiny. They are eating, pooping, feathering out....they are just so small. The BO, Lorps and BR are average.
    I'm still amazed at the personalities. Indvidually and as breeds.
    I refer to the BO as the 'labradors of the chicken world" they are sweet, laid back, not bullies, just really really easy going, they get pushed around by the other chicks.
    The RIR are up in everyone's face most of the time except for one who is a little less aggressive. They are the best at scratching around and finding food in the shavings.
    The EE are great. Very inquisitive, sweet, quiet, they have more get up and go than the BO though.
    I'm surprised at how high strung my BRs are. They hate being handled, chirp and fuss more than any of the others.
    The Lorps are kind of boring, TBH. They aren't high strung like the BR but they don't particularly show a lot of personality like the EE either. They are just kind of blah.

Of my 25 we are keeping 10. So far there is 1 Australorp, 2 BO, 2 EE, 1 RIR that are definitely staying. I have to pick out the other 4 of the remaining keepers.

2. LVchicks

LVchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2013
    [​IMG]

See the size difference between the RIR and EE. The RIR is Hermione and the EE is Athena. We are keeping both.

[​IMG]

The Australorp is Captain. She has been top chick since the moment we unpacked them. She isn't mean but she is definitely in charge. She is always aware of what is going around the brooder, it seems like she barely sleeps. We are keeping her too.
    [​IMG]

3. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Beautiful. Love new chicks. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by