1 week olds "charging" each other?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Tracyree, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Tracyree

Tracyree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    I have four chicks, just over a week old. They are in a very large clear plastic bin. I've noticed over the last few days that they charge at each other. Does pecking order start so young? They seem to stretch themselves as tall as they can and charge at each other as if to say "I'm bigger and stronger!!". I didn't expect to see this in them so young. (they are "pullets" if we're in the 90% lucky group)

2. tclegg

tclegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Parkersburg
    Yep that is what your seeing..does not mean ending...but just start...you will see more..don;t be alarmed..very normal..

3. Noobchick

Noobchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Creedmoor, NC
    Lol. Yup. Mine do similar things. And they all fight over what they think is the "best" opening at the feeder. Looks the same as all the other openings to my human eyes but what do I know? Oh, and fight over the "best" spot on the perch. And the "best" place to sleep on the ground. Too funny to watch. I had no idea it started this young either. Thankfully its all pretty mild picking so far, no injuries.

4. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    It's hard to watch, isn't it? We managed to work it all out without any injuries here. The closest we came was right before they moved to their coop. They were getting overcrowded in their brooder and that's always problematic.

5. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:X2 yes normal.......................... don't freak out and do anything that is silly, they are and will be fine.

6. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    My older 3 didn't really start this until they were older(9 weeks). They constantly are bumping chests and challenging each other.

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:X2 yes normal.......................... don't freak out and do anything that is silly, they are and will be fine.

Yes, very normal. Working out the pecking order starts immediately.

8. Longfellowgirls

Longfellowgirls Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2011
    Minneapolis, MN
    This is very reassuring to me! Thanks for this thread. My ladies (fingers crossed) have been in their big girl coop for just a week now and since moving in I've noticed two of them chest-bumping and chasing each other. I didn't have a clue what this meant and was thinking I had ended up with a couple of roos. So glad to hear this is normal pullet behavior, they are 9 weeks old now, and I look forward to knowing with out a doubt that they are all girls [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by