1 wk chk, bloody poop. Won't take their medicine, suggestions please??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Suechick, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Suechick

Suechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Carlsbad, CA
    (edit) Can anyone please tell me how to get them to take their medicine? They won't drink the water and I think they'll dehydrate. There are 3 chicks 1.5 weeks old who are presumable dealing with cocci...

Hi, I'm looking for some advice. I have a 1 week old chick that appears to have blood in it's poop. I'm unsure how this could happen as I hatched the chicks from eggs and they have been completely isolated in their brooder all week. Does anyone have any ideas of what might be going on?
    TIA

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    That sounds like cocci. It could have been brought in on shoes or hands after being outside. I'd get some Corid if you can and start treatment immediatley. Cocci can kill quickly once you start seeing blood. Prompt treatment usually takes care of it though. Treat all the chicks. If you can't get Corid you can also use Sulmet. I haven't used Sulmet, but others I've read about have and it seems to work well. Corid is the brand name of amprolium and is one of those things that all chicken keepers should have on hand. Here is a link to a "poop page" that may help you identify your problem. http://happyhenhouse.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=poop&action=display&thread=7588 If you have any doubt about whether or not it's cocci, go ahead and treat for it. It's not like antibiotics where over use will build a resistance. Good luck with them!

3. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I agree with Kittymomma.

Act fast! Every feed store around here carries Sulmet. It's not expensive, it's easy to administer. Get some quick!

4. Suechick

Oct 27, 2009
    Carlsbad, CA
    So, you can't think of another reason a one week old would have a bloody poop?
    I'm OK with treating if that's what it is. I think I have a friend with some sulmet so I can get some from her and start it this morning
    Can someone tell me what the dosage is? I understand that Sulmet can do damage to the liver and I don't want to over stress them, they are still so young.

5. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Sorry I didn't get back to this thread yesterday.

Cocci is pretty common with young chicks. And deadly to them. I would seriously suspect it. As far as the dosage goes, it's printed on the bottle. I'm in the midst of moving, and my bottle is at the other house. So I can't help you there.

6. Suechick

Oct 27, 2009
    Carlsbad, CA
    Thank you for checking back Lauralou
    I got some Sulmet from a friend of mine and started treatment. I mixed it in their food and gave it in their water dish. BUT, they HATE it. They are barely drinking and really resist eating, and now they are chirping incessantly!!! I finally gave them some food dry and they gobbled it up but I doubt they are getting enough water.
    Any ideas? I just can't imagine that they'll get medicated very well if they refuse to take the medicine.... gee that sounds profound...[​IMG]

7. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Hi,

Sorry I missed you yesterday too. Busy around here with Christmas baking.. If you can, try to get some Corid. You mix it in with the water and I've never had a problem with them drinking it so I don't think it has much flavor. If all you have is the Sulmet, follow the directions and don't give them anything else or they won't get enough meds to help them. Wish I could be of more help, but I've never used Sulmet..[​IMG]

8. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
  9. Suechick

Oct 27, 2009
    Carlsbad, CA
    Well, New Castle Disease sounds pretty rare, I doubt if they could have gotten it at 1 week old in complete isolation from other birds.
    Of course, I don't know how they got Cocci either,

Anyway my current problem is they won't drink the water with the medicine in it, I really could use some suggestions for that.

10. Suechick

Oct 27, 2009
    Carlsbad, CA
    *bump for help*

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by