1 Wk ducklings bare patches, help please!!

Maria2015

Hatching
Jun 26, 2019
My duckling are 10 days old, 10 saxony ducks, 3 toulouse geese. Im seeing bare patches on 2 heads, one on neck another on back. A goose has a wing tip exposed. Feather eating? When they first came I saw one pecking at anothers eye but I havnt seen them doing this to each other. I have seen the get food on themselves (Im giving them 20% duck starter mash and wetting it) and thought maybe they were pecking it off each other? I have them in a bathtub with hay as bedding, I know its too wet and need to change my set up. Also maybe I need to switch to a red bulb in the heat lamp? Any help would be very appeciated! Posting pix it looks so dirty but I just changed it out 5 hrs before :(
20190626_231921.jpg
20190626_231957.jpg
20190626_232132.jpg

Looks like a small area for a lot of birds. My guess is that they are bored and aggressively pecking each other.

A red light couldn't hurt, a heat plate or MHP would be even better. Mine out grew the brooder fast, but even when they were crowded I didn't notice my ducklings peck at each other like I have seen chickens do. Wonder if its the gosling?

Also, I notice you said your feeding duck starter? Which one? There's a place near me that sells so called "Duck Deluxe" feed that's only 11% and shows no Niacin on the label... :mad::duc:he

Back
Top Bottom