1 wk old silkie chick having what looks like seizures

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by meriruka, Apr 16, 2009.

1. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    Today one of my silkie chicks was squeaking loudly. All 4 have been fine up to this point. They are in a brooder on paper towels with medicated chick feed & water.
    After watching for a while, the chick will suddenly open his beak very wide, drop his head down and his body will shake like chickens do after a dust bath, as if shaking out the dirt from feathers. He squeaks loudly, then will close his eyes & lay down until the next one.
    He is pooping normally.
    Any ideas what this could be?

2. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I believe silkies are prone to neurological issues. Maybe someone else knows better.
    Here is a website that discusses the "hole in the head" of silkies. All silkies have this and sometimes they are easily injured. http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/HoleIn Head.html. Good luck with that baby.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  3. meriruka

Oct 18, 2007
    Thanks for the info. This sounds like what is happening. I have no idea where to get Prednizone or how much to give. Do you know?

4. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    No, I'm sorry I don't other than a vet. It would need systemic prednisone and I think it is only prescription. It would also probably have to be injectible. Hope you can find a vet that will either subscribe you some or will look at the chick for you. Best of luck and keep us posted.

5. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    You would have to get prednizone from a vet. I am so sorry about your little one [​IMG]

6. Glenda L Heywood

Glenda L Heywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    It is vitamin B and vit E
    you need to crush the 1/2 pill
    and give it to the chick with eye dropper put in back of throat till you get the 1/2 pill in twice a day for several days and it seems better
    has to do with the top knot on the chicks skull
    and deficient in vit B

you can also make wet mash with brewers yeast in it and will help the chick it is vit B
    vit E you can take a huans vit E 1000 mg capsule and eitherput it in a small amount of wet mash
    or cut end of vit E capsule and put in mouth of chick till it all goes in
    If adult bird just put capsule in beask and hold beak shut and stroke their neck till they swallow it. this works for crook neck or limber neck in birds as well as having siesures

this is on Alans site under silkie top knot
    "The vet suggested prednisone might help afflicted birds. Vitamin E and vitamin B complex seem to help Crookneck birds; these vitamins help the nervous system. All of this is consistent with my theory that an injury to a Silkie's exposed brain produces crookneck. "

you can go to Alans web site
    also the
    asbc site on silkies
    Alan" <[email protected]>
    ContactsTo: [email protected] this article of mine:

http://www.browneggblueegg.com/ Article/Incubato rControl. html

also his web site has lots of silkie articles

7. meriruka

Oct 18, 2007
    Thanks everyone. There are no vets in my (very) rural area that will look at chickens and of course, everything in the closest town closes at 5. I do have poultry vitamins that contain vitamins B & E, would that help until I can go to town tomorrow?

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Sure, might be all it needs.

9. Glenda L Heywood

Glenda L Heywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    yes use a eye dropper to put in the meds mixed with water as irected
    put eye dropper in back of throat and it wwill be okay
    do this several times a day to get it started soon

10. meriruka

Oct 18, 2007
    He's getting better! I watched him this morning and he behaved normally. Thanks everyone for your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by