1" x 1" galvanized wire mesh 16 gauge wire on my run? *updated, used hardware cloth on bottom 2.5 fe

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Streetview, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Updated: photos and choices below

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  2. PS I will also be burying some around the run as dig prevention

3. Papas Chickens

Papas Chickens Songster

Jul 13, 2014
    Dateland Arizona
    The 1x1 wire mesh is fine for the top, I do recomend the 1/2 or 1/4 in. hardware cloth atleast 2-3 feet up from the bottom so predators cant get to your chickens. I use 1x2 hog wire burried a foot into the ground and then 1/2 in. hardware cloth 2 feet up from the bottom just to keep unwanted critter out like coyotes, badgers and javalina. I also use chicken wire ontop to inclose my run so those pesky flying predators like hawks, owls and turkey foltures cant get in, also it keeps the bigger wild birds out like pigeons, doves, magpies, ect.

4. Thanks! Ok sounds like I should keep with the original plan of doing the 2 feet up with the 1/2. The first 8 inches is wood so that will give me 2.8 and then of course the buried stuff too. Thankfully we don't have badgers and such here but I would much rather be safe than sorry. I was able to get some free roofing off craigslist so that will keep the hawks and owls we have from picking them off! We have pretty big owls and also some local bald eagles

5. iwiw60

iwiw60 Crowing

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Sixteen-gauge wire is too flimsy...go with 1/2" hardware cloth...JMHO

6. Thanks! I just bought it online and will go pick it up in a few! Getting close to being done :D My girls are super excited.

7. Papas Chickens

Papas Chickens Songster

Jul 13, 2014
    Dateland Arizona
    Sounds good.

8. tracecom

tracecom Songster

Jan 16, 2010
    16 gauge wire is actually quite heavy. Remember that the small the gauge number, the thicker the wire.

1 person likes this.
  9. That's kinda what I thought, but I didn't want to disagree. I remember from my piercing/tatoo days that the lower the number the fatter it is haha. I ended up just doing the hardware cloth for the bottom 3 feet, but will be doing the galvanized wire fencing for the top 3 feet.

10. Papas Chickens

Papas Chickens Songster

Jul 13, 2014
    Dateland Arizona
    Post some pics when you can.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: