1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

1 x 1 welded panels

Discussion in 'Quail' started by LeenaB, Jan 8, 2014.

1. LeenaB

LeenaB Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2013
    I was cleaning in the basement today and I found a stack of welded wire panels. The openings are 1x1 inches and the whole panel is 14X14. I keep my quail inside. So I was wondering if those would be good to make quail cages out of. I had used them in the past for temporary mini outdoor chicken run. I bleached them down when I disassembled them.

Is 1x1 too big? Will the quail fit through? I have coturnix.

Just trying to brainstorm what to do with them, also I have an incubator full of eggs now. So the chicks will need housing soon. I know chicks will squeeze through 1x1 just wondering about full grown birds.

2. fintuckyfarms

fintuckyfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2013
    Finley WA
    I would think that is fine for adults, but if not you can wrap the bottom with plastic kitchen wrap or I use shrink wrap like for pallets from my husbands work. It not only keeps the drafts off but contains the litter.

3. LeenaB

LeenaB Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2013
    Thanks Fintucky. I have a daily battle with litter containment. I was came home one day to a gift of a dedicated quail shop vac (apparently the dyson is for people only). I highly recommend one getting a shopvac if you don't already have one.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by