1 y/o BO lethargic, looks like she's gonna die :-(

ChickenHawk12

Chirping
May 7, 2015
We have 4 BO's that just turned 1 year old. We lost one in the fall, we think it was egg-bound and we didn't see the signs. Yesterday our remaining 4 were fine, but this afternoon I noticed one sitting on the ground in the run, not dust bathing but just sitting there. When I came into the run, it didn't get up like the others. I continued to observe it for the next few hours. It is just standing there in the corner facing the wall of the run, barely moving, eyes closing for 10-15 seconds at a time. It will walk around if prodded, isn't waddling, I even checked it's vent for a stuck egg and felt nothing. No visible signs of injury. I don't really know what I'm feeling for, but I felt the front of its throat and it didn't feel any different than the other chickens. I don't know if that doesn't count because it's not first thing morning or not. Another chicken went broody today and has been aggressive to the others, but the others aren't acting like this one. It's like she's dying and she knows it.

I'm not sure what else to do. I'm expecting to have to dispose of a dead chicken in the morning. Any thoughts? And is it normal to lose 2 of our 5 chickens in the first year? I feel like a terrible chicken keeper :-(

Bring her inside in a basket. Try feeding her some egg chopped up, tuna, and put some electrolytes in her water. Fluids are more important that food at first. Use a dropper or syringe to give fluids if she won't take them herself. Crop problems where the crop could be impacted (full and hard) or sour (full and puffy) when the crop should normally empty by morning. Look her skin over especially around the fent and elsewhere for signs of tiny bugs--lice or mites. Have you wormed your hens recently? I would take some of her droppings in to your local bet for a fecal float to look for worms and coccidia. There are many reproductive disorders in chickens, such as internal laying, egg yolk peritonitis, and even cancer. A vet may also be able to help diagnose her with Xrays and examination. How does her breast area feel--thin or normal weight? Is her lower belly swollen or tight?

So, this morning she is acting fine. I didn't expect her to make it through the night, and today she is out and about with the others, walking and pecking around perfectly fine. Was she just sleepy? Depressed from 9 days straight of rain? This is so weird.....

Back
Top Bottom