1 yard 2 roosters?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by BethanyS, Nov 21, 2012.

1. BethanyS

BethanyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2012
    middle Tennessee
    I have 5 leg horn hens and 1 rooster. they are about 9 month old. I was actually planning on selling them because they were eating there own egg. after received my new chicks hatched November 13th the leghorns decided they did not want to be sold and started producing eggs! now I am going to keep them around at least until the new chicks are laying eggs. our yard is at least 800 square feet .we have 8 new chicks 1 of them is a rooster. when they are large enough to the outside I plan to keep them in a chicken tractor inside the existing fence with the white leghorns. I am not fond of keeping chickens cooped up just wondered what everyone's opinion was to let them all mingle once the chicks are large enough to hold their ownor if I should get started on a nother fenced in area...

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  2. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    Adult roosters rarely get along.. It is better that they grow up together and even then there will still be a risk of injury or death. Depending on their personalities the risk might be very low or very high. Usually things are all roses until one catches the other mating "his" girl...

3. BethanyS

BethanyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2012
    middle Tennessee
    That's what I was afraid of :-( Foghorn Leghorn is kind of a @ss lol he is a wonderful rooster as far as doing his job and protecting his ladies. I fear he would kill the poor young roo. I am hoping I can afford a new fence but time goes by so fast I don't know if it will happen by the time I need it. I hate the thought of separating him from his women. I had considered keeping hey few of the white leghorn hands and selling the other leg hens. these were my first chickens and I hate to see them go but I don't want chicken Wars either not to mention the white leghorns are spoiled it's all my fault they love bread and noodles way better than chicken food and vegetables :lol: I'm starting my new babies out right no junk food

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by