1 year and not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mohdhamza, Apr 3, 2017.

1. mohdhamza

mohdhamza Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2017
    Delhi, India
    Out of my 2 one year old hens, one does not lay any eggs and the other laid 4 eggs and then stopped. It's been 4 days. The rooster also started crowing just a month ago. Is there some 'late maturity' problem? Does anyone have an explanation?

2. ChickonLand

ChickonLand Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2017
    What type of hens are they? I had an easter egger who didn't start laying until she was well over 8 months. I wouldn't worry about it too much, make sure they're healthy. Are they giving you signs that they're gonna start laying soon? (squatting and the egg song)

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I would like to know what breeds they are too, also what have you been feeding them? Switching to layer too soon will slow down maturity and growth. Hopefully your birds have still been getting a grower or an All Flock.

4. mohdhamza

Apr 1, 2017
    Delhi, India
    Yes they've been singing the egg song for quite some time now. I thought they were laying somewhere else but found nothing.

5. sassysarah123

sassysarah123 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    Do you have a coop for them to lay in?

6. mohdhamza

Apr 1, 2017
    Delhi, India
    Neither I nor anyone else here knows what the breeds are. They just call all coloured breeds 'country hen'. It's clear by seeing that each one of the 3 is a different breed.

7. mohdhamza

Apr 1, 2017
    Delhi, India
    Yes I have a nice spacious coop and also a cozy nest box in the coop.

8. Devunisaacs

Devunisaacs Just Hatched

Jul 21, 2016
    Hmmm usually if there older they will stop laying or will slow production what season is it out where you live? do you get a lot of sun? what type of food are they given? sorry for all the questions just trying to help as much as possible[​IMG][​IMG]

9. sassysarah123

sassysarah123 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    maybe they are laying outside, My ee was not satisfied with her nest box, so she flew over her pen into the yard and she was running around looking for a place to lay and her egg fell out of her. We got her a better nest box and she is now satisfied

10. mohdhamza

Apr 1, 2017
    Delhi, India
    All the seasons have come and gone. Now the long dry summer has arrived. It's 38°C and usually goes upto 45°C by May. We don't have any ready-made / commercial feed available here. They eat everything. I just make sure they get grain and greens both. I don't feed corn due to the heat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by