1 year old allergic to eggs

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by FarmGirl01, Jan 10, 2011.

1. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I just discovered my one year old girl is allergic to eggs. I fed her some and within a few hours she was beet red and swelling. I gave her some benedryl and waited. After a few hours she started to get better. The next she was normal. Can someone out there tell me their story and how you dealt with this. Thanks everyone.[​IMG]

2. equine623

equine623 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    NE PA
    May I suggest if her reaction was that dramatic to please go to the dr. and get an Epi pen. Allergic reactions will happen faster and at a more dangerous level with each subsequent exposure to the allergen. Learn to read labels closely for products that use egg. It may have been the white, maybe the yolk, or maybe it doesn't matter and both will cause the reaction. For some people, duck eggs or egg from another type of bird are safe, but not always. Egg allergies will sometimes be outgrown, but the key is to avoid any exposure for several years at least. Think about things that might have egg like breaded chicken or breads that may have been brushed with an egg wash. Be careful using eggs in baked goods, there are lots of easy substitutions for egg.

My daughter is allergic to gluten, corn, cow dairy, egg and all pork products. Chocolate doesn't agree with her either. Luckily none of her reactions have been life threatening, but that could always change with repeated exposure.

Really - consider getting the Epi pen! Better safe than sorry. Good luck [​IMG]

3. BlakesFarm

BlakesFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Upstate SC
    Quote:What equine623 said X2

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:What equine623 said X2

[​IMG] X3! Sooo lucky that her airway didnt close off. I'd bring her to the doc and tell him whaty happend. Get an epi-pen or something in case that happens again...
    Good luck! [​IMG]

5. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    Will do. Thanks.[​IMG]

6. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

I would suggest going to an allergist and have her get fully tested for egg and other allergies. Unless she is tested you won't know for sure what she may be allergic to. Also at that young age, she may be able to be desensitized to what ever she is allergic to which will make for a much easier life down the road.

7. onecent

onecent Chillin' With My Peeps

I am allergic to eggs!...only i didn't know it, I love eggs i ate them all the time & still do...but i would notice that every time i would eat them i would get sick at varying degrees,and once in a while it would be severe, and sometimes i would break out in hives, but not very often... still didn't know it was....eggs, so through the years i had breathing problems bronchitis, asthma & then C.O.P.D, Dr. ordered an allergy test...it was EGGS [​IMG] I was floored! I was told to stay away from them, [​IMG] that is impossible just about everything has eggs in it, and i like them, [​IMG] but i was definitely told NOT to take the flu shot if your allergic to eggs.

8. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I am allergic to chicken eggs. I am not allergic to quail & duck eggs. Different birds have different proteins in their eggs so being allergic to one doesn't mean you allergic to the others. Have her tested so you know for sure.

9. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    If your Dr. thinks so, I think you might want to look into a RAST test. My now 2 yr old had terrible eczema that we just couldn't clear up. We had him RAST tested (simple blood test) and it turns out he is allergic to peanuts, eggs, dogs and cats.....He gets 7ml of claritin every night and has been doing well. You can tell though if he gets into something because he flairs almost immediately. We are also now having issues with citrus and tomatoes. He had a lemon to play with at a restaurant and within 10 min. his chin was actually bleeding from a chemical burn caused by the citric acid. We had to move all the cats outdoors and only 1 dog comes in to sleep (my dd's beagle). With the cold weather though all the dogs are in at night (3 total) and 2 cats. We also just pulled up all the carpet in the house and put down hardwood floors which has helped immensely!! None of my 3 older kids have any type of food allergies.
    Good luck to you!!! I hope he outgrows it [​IMG] [​IMG]

PS my hubby is allergic to shellfish and is celiac (gluten/wheat) and possible MSG as well

10. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

we went through that with my son. Had him tested.. he was allergic to everything including eggs. he would turn bright red, puke, then break out in hives...fun stuff. I did discover though that he could eat egg yolks... just not the white. The doc can test for both independently. I am happy to report though, at age 13, he seems to have grown out of the worst of it. We still carry the epi pen and I have never allowed him to "try" highly reactive suspect foods like shellfish and nuts to see if he has grown out of those. I suppose i will have to at some stage, but probably in the docs office. Its best to get tested early,get educated about food allergies and have the epi pen. We have never ever had to use it, Thank God, but it is comforting to have around and with a docs diagnosis, your school will by law have to accomodate and make whatever arrangements your child may need to stay healthy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by