1 Year Old Chochin Rooster throwing up "water"

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by panzer, Sep 3, 2009.

1. panzer

panzer New Egg

Sep 3, 2009
    Hanford, California
    Hello Everyone!

My name is Pamela and I am very new to haveing chickens in our backyard and we are loving it! [​IMG] We have 9 other chickens in with our one rooster and he seems to be having a new problem. I cant seem to find anything online to help so I was wondering if any of you would have a clue of how I can help him.

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
    Cochin, Born Feb '09, no clue
    2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    Streches neck out, opens beak and water comes out.
    3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    none at all
    4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    Nothing I know of. He is happily humping everyone and protecting. Seems fine other wise and shows no sign of parasites
    5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    water and store feed (laying)
    6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    In with others, so I havent seen it
    7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    nothing yet, still new to the chicken world (sorry)
    8 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    I would love to treat myself , if treatment is needed
    9) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    10) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    Full cook with a huge run. Bedding is shavings.

Thank you!

Pamela
    panzer@attitude.com

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Welcome,
    Sometimes chickens with throw up if they drink too much to fast..... or when you pick them up and it puts pressure on the crop. Does he seem distressed while he is doing it?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  3. Cackling Hen

Cackling Hen Just Scratching Around

Apr 21, 2009
    Port Angeles Wa
    Quote:Hi there and welcome your post say he is a 1 year old cochin. But then your anwser says he was born Feb 09????
    How old is he??? My cochin who is 4 months old drinks to fast and sometime water comes out I hope he will be ok

4. panzer

panzer New Egg

Sep 3, 2009
    Hanford, California
    wow! I just checked back to see if my image of my Dottie was there and I had two responces! Thanks so much!

Hi hen! ..I was in a panic when I typed that LOL! We bought him from McMurry Murry online, and got him in Febuary so he is 7 mons old. Sorry about that, I figured to put he was closer to a year then to put his month. [​IMG] I am learning.

Hi chicken zoo! He doesnt seem distrested at ALL! He seems to be ok, humping and lording over his woman lol! He did his normal thing when I walk into the coop...try and give me one pinch on the calf before I shoo him away with my hand. Normal. *shrugs*

I am trying to post a picture of him but cant figure out how to do that in an email.

Pamela

5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Hi, upload your pic, then click on the bottom link under it, hit copy, then click on your reply and paste.

6. panzer

panzer New Egg

Sep 3, 2009
    Hanford, California
    Thank you!

I am uploading a pic of our coop now. (dial up stinks! yep yep!)

Now I am having fun playing with my page! *giggles*

So you guys think "no worries" on the water issue or do you believe I need to hit Sanchez feed and seed for some antibotics (sugested by someone who doesnt have chickens)

7. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Just keep an eye on him, he may just be a gulper.

8. panzer

panzer New Egg

Sep 3, 2009
    Hanford, California
    It's sooo hot here I was worried about possible dehydration and will keep an eye on him, hopefully that is all it is, he's my chugger and problem child.

I love that mean old rooster!

[​IMG] Thank you for your kindness and settling this new mom down!

Pamela

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by