1 year old Hen has IBV..what can I do for her?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ihvpower, Sep 7, 2010.

1. ihvpower

ihvpower Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2009
    Uxbridge MA
    I have a one year old Buff Orp. By looking in the chicken diseases page and finding a pic od HER, she definitley has IBV.

I can't find a vet around here that will look at a chicken. (her face is quite swollen , sneezing, wheezing) I bought some Tetracycline Hydrochloride at the feed store and put some in the water container. I have seperated her so she won't get pecked. What is sodium Salcylite (sp) where can I get it and what else can I do. What is the mortality rate, please?

I know it is a virus so the antibiotics will only treat secondary infection but.....help!

Nancy

2. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    Quote:It is highly infectious so your other chickens are at risk of getting it.

It normally runs its course in about eight weeks, during this time your hen's egg production is likely to drop and her eggs might become mis shaped, soft shelled, pitted, and the internal quality decrease. The respiratory symptoms resolve in about 2 weeks.

Mortality in layers is very low, in meat birds it is very high.

Once the bird has recovered it is immune.

3. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
  4. ihvpower

Aug 26, 2009
    Uxbridge MA
    Thank you very much....She will be on Tylan later today. I can't even imagine how she feels, all swollen like that :-(

I checked on them before I went to bed and some others were wheezing. I'll treat the whole flock.

5. colada584

colada584 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Gardiner, NY
    My chickens went through this a few weeks ago and they are finally all over it. Like the other poster said, it is highly contaigous. Keep your hen far away from the other chickens and make sure you take care of your other chickens first and then the sick one. Change your clothes/shoes if you go to the other one first. When my chickens got IBV (and it was diagnosed by an avian vet) they all got sick within 24 hours. They had the exact symptoms you described, swollen face, sneezing, wheezing. After a day or so of that they also got runny noses. I gave them tylan to treat secondary infection. They all got over it in about 2 weeks, although it has been about 4 weeks and once in a while I see signs of a runny nose, but like the other poster said, it runs its course in a matter of 8 weeks.

Now the only thing that I have had some issues with is whether or not they will be carriers. My vet and some stuff that I read said they would not be so I shouldn't worry about getting new chickens (I don't plan on getting rid of any that I have anyways). But I have also seen stuff saying they would be carriers. [​IMG] All I know is I will never buy started chickens ever again after this situation.

6. Siler

Siler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I think my flock had this earlier this year. They had all the symptoms except I didn't notice any swollen faces. The eggs all became misshapen and still are to this day. I have 2 hens that lay eggs without shells from this. They now eat the eggs when they see them and I have to change the nest box material all the time. I stopped using straw or anything else and only use shredded newspaper so I can keep it clean.

I'm told that they may be immune but they carry it for life. So I guess I have to get chicks either vaccinated for it or they will get IBV and it runs the course.

7. ihvpower

Aug 26, 2009
    Uxbridge MA
    HI, Thanks all for you advice and experiences. I have a vet coming out to do a culture but I am pretty sure it's IBV, if it was Coryza, there would be a bad smell and there is not. I'll let you know the culture outcome!

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    What is IBV? I WISH people on this site would not abbreviate everything they possibly can. Most of the abbreviations used are not commonly understood.

9. colada584

colada584 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Gardiner, NY
    Quote:Infectious Bronchitis Virus

10. ihvpower

Aug 26, 2009
    Uxbridge MA
    Quote:I suppose if you had a fraction of knowledge of chicken diseases, you would definitely know what IBV was, because this is a common one. If I were you, I would vaccinate my chcikens from this. It is quite nasty...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by