1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

1 year old Hen leg giving out

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenscott, May 16, 2011.

1. chickenscott

chickenscott Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2009
    Pacific NW
    My Coop
    I have a couple of 1 year old Rock hens. One of them I noiced has a right leg that "gives" out when she stops to feed or turn. It does not happen all the time but enough to make me worry. She will collapse on her right side/bottom and then hop back up and and go again. It seems to be more prevelent when she is standing still and turning or changing directions. But she does fall over.

I am assuming she has twisted it or the hip is/was dislocated. Not sure if I can do anything. She doesn't favor the leg and seems to not be in pain. Any ideas would be appreciated!

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    She may have just landed wrong when getting on or off the roost. I'd keep an eye on it. I had one hen that limped for about 10 days, then she went back to normal. There's no swelling or anything, right?

3. chickenscott

chickenscott Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2009
    Pacific NW
    My Coop
    No there seems to be no swelling on the leg- it just "goes out" and she will flop on her side/bottom and lay down for a few moments or stagger for a second. She is eating normal and eggs are still happening so I am not sure what the deal is. i will follow up later.

When I am home tonight I will do a good look her legs and hips to see if there is anything else wrong with her. Anyone else? THANKS![​IMG]

I think it is a problem with her right waddle under her right ear. I have posted a couple of video for assistance. Please help with what to do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/... sick/?action=view&current=20110518193330.mp4

http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/... sick/?action=view&current=20110518193339.mp4

Last edited: May 18, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by