1 year old hen sluggish, waddling.(urgent)

Docdetective

Songster
Aug 1, 2020
Northern California
My 1 year old hen is acting off and sluggish. She’s been wanting to lay down quite a bit and when placed in coop, jumped up to roost early. Her crop is full and soft, not impacted. She has not layed an egg today but had one yesterday, and it’s been her routine lately to lay eggs every other day. She has been struggling with thin shelled eggs, and we’ve been upping her calcium intake. She’s waddling a bit and not showing much interest in free ranging. Her comb is normal color. Any ideas, do I need to start her on a epsom salt bath? I also cannot feel an egg, but she seems uncomfortable back there.
Update: she’s still up on her roost, highly unusual this time of evening. ( currently an hour before dark)

Last edited:
Feel her abdomen below the vent between her legs for bloat or swelling.

She may be having a hard time expelling an egg if she's been struggling with thin shelled eggs. Give her 1 Caltrate now, then 1 once a day for 4 more days to see if that helps firm up her egg shells.

If she's agreeable, you can try a warm epsom salts bath. While you have her gathered up, look her over really well for lice/mites.
Offer her some water and get her hydrated if she's not been drinking well on her own. A little sugar in the water is ok.

Re-check her crop first thing in the morning to make sure it's emptying.

Back
Top Bottom