1 year old RIR hen having difficulty laying egg

MimiNelson

In the Brooder
May 31, 2018
I am quite concerned. I have noticed my year old hen sounding like a goose (for a couple of weeks now) and it has been taking her a long time to lay an egg, going in and out of the nesting box. Somedays she just doesn't get it done but usually lays one by the 2nd day. I have plenty of food, water, oyster shell, and grit available at all times. What should I do?

Welcome to BYC!

Is this a new occurrence?
Did she used to lay daily?
Are the eggs she does lay 'good' eggs?

Not all birds lay daily, some do go in and out of nests repeatedly before laying.
Some sit in nest without laying, some sit in nest for quite some times both before and after laying..I call them the 'Loungers'.

As long as she is eating, drinking, pooping, and moving around OK... I'd not worry.
Might be good to give her an exam; look at vent closely, parting feathers for bugs on skin. Feel her belly for any swelling.

Ohhh. Good idea. Thank you do much. Because, yeah, everything else is normal with her. I just hate watching her walk around the yard with vent contractions going on.

I am quite concerned. I have noticed my year old hen sounding like a goose (for a couple of weeks now) and it has been taking her a long time to lay an egg, going in and out of the nesting box. Somedays she just doesn't get it done but usually lays one by the 2nd day. I have plenty of food, water, oyster shell, and grit available at all times. What should I do?
:welcome

Back
Top Bottom