1 year old Silkie kidney failure. Did I cause it??

Jennifer00O

In the Brooder
Jun 4, 2022
We had a flock of 5 silkies and a rooster. I inherited another flock of 13. I kept them separate for 45 days.
2 weeks ago I noticed her in a corner by herself, falling asleep standing up. I isolated and saw she had watery bright green poo. She was super skinny. I started Corrid treatment and dusted for mites. Called the vet but they couldn’t get her in for a week.
She wasn’t getting better. Saturday she laid a lash egg. She stopped eating but was drinking a ton. We were syringe feeding her parrot mash.
Saw the vet two days ago and blood test showed anemia, kidneys elevated and gout. Liver levels and white blood cell count were both normal.
I have another Silkie with the same poo but she’s eating and drinking. She does feel light also. But she’s not laying. The Dr thought the other hens could have bullied my silkies. But the blood test results came back different than he thought they would. Could the bullying have killed her? Would these levels be elevated if she was starving?
My other thought is they don’t like the pellet food. I’m going to switch them to crumbles asap.
Also two of the other hens (the inherited) died within the last month. One had vent gleet and the other had water belly.
I’m devastated. It was my daughter’s favorite.

Attachments

• C623F671-B3D7-4FA2-9F88-4221685327B7.jpeg
    C623F671-B3D7-4FA2-9F88-4221685327B7.jpeg
    755.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Layena layer pellets. I give corn, mealworms as treats, Every few days
If you're going to have a flock of hens, & roosters, it's best to feed a Flock Raiser, or All Flock type feed. With oyster shells on the side for the ladies. The extra calcium in Layer feed causes long term kidney damage to roosters.

Treats, are given too often, I'd cut back to once, or twice every other week.

Back
Top Bottom