1 year old with huge mass on lower right breast.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by buffy st. marie, Apr 21, 2009.

1. buffy st. marie

buffy st. marie New Egg

Apr 21, 2009
    northshore Boston
    My 1 year old girl has had a mass on her lower right breast for a month. It has been picked of feathers recently so it is really evident.
    She is eating, excreting, pecking, running around, looking like a chicken. However, she is just slightly less active than the rest of the flock, looks like she is hiccuping at times, and is not laying. She doesn't seem to meet all the symptom criteria for either sour crop or obstructed crop. Any thoughts for my floppy-breasted black austrolorp, Minerva?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/thumbs/28826_what_is_this.jpg[/img][/URL]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  2. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    Do you have grit?

3. buffy st. marie

buffy st. marie New Egg

Apr 21, 2009
    northshore Boston
    free range. [​IMG]

4. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Could it be an impacted crop?

5. buffy st. marie

buffy st. marie New Egg

Apr 21, 2009
    northshore Boston
    that's what it looks like, except she has had it for two months, is eating and behaving well, no other signs of illness. I am hoping someone will see the picture and recognize it. any other thoughts out there? Thank you....

6. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    that's her crop.... isolate her in a cage with no food, if it went down then it's just normal.

7. 4hooves&featheredfriends

4hooves&featheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Looks like my recent impacted crop, it sounds like some food is passing and becoming digested but not all of it can pass. With my BA, the crop would go down until she was allowed to eat again and then it got very huge. Turns out she had eaten a cigarette filter.

I posted recently in this forum. We ended up doing surgery.

Good luck keep us posted.

8. buffy st. marie

buffy st. marie New Egg

Apr 21, 2009
    northshore Boston
    thanks all. will isolate her and restrict food, give water, and monitor. will update when I have news.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by