1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

1 Year RSL with water belly

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Colorado Chick, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Colorado Chick

Colorado Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    Hi all,
    Bean just started exhibiting water belly (or at least i saw it for the first time) yesterday. Last night she received a warm bath, and two stool softeners through a syring dripped into the mouth. That helped her pass some stool through the night. This morning i did another rectal exam and inserted my finger fully. At the tip of my finger i found a bunch of small hard bumps that were moveable to a degree. She just drank water!!!! yes!!!!! this whole time she has been standing up and alert, very little closed eye business. Anyway, this morning when i did the rectal exam, my finger came out very clean, and i felt nothing except those small bumps. i followed the track downward and slight back (right in between the legs) where there was another "vent" that i gently worked through. it was just past that that i felt those bumps. My question to you is, are those future eggs, or is it cancer? i disected a friends hen that died last year, and these bumps remind me of those. :( let me know what you think thank you for your time

2. Colorado Chick

Sep 27, 2014
    [​IMG]

this is the stool she passed through the night. She had two more "fart" poops that were mostly the yellow stuff. the yellow tint of this stool is making me think perotinitis, but i hope not.
    i did another rectal exam to ensure an exact location of those 'bumps' they were in front of and behind that second 'vent' i mentioned, and mostly to the hens left side.
    now to go study an anotomy chart.
    can any of you suggest a good one for future use as well? thanks for your help.

3. Colorado Chick

Sep 27, 2014
    ps, if you see dog hair in the stool, it is from the kennel she stayed in last night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by