1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

1 yo EE hen with nasty sore back

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nikkicoolmama, Feb 15, 2015.

1. nikkicoolmama

nikkicoolmama Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2014
    Central Illinois
    i noticed that my girl has a bloody spot on her back when i checked on them this morning so i brought her in to check it out. she has been molting, so the missing feathers didn't stick out as something to be alarmed about in the past. i've got a washcloth on the area- warm, wet with a little soap on it. please let me know what in the world this might be. i thought it was pecking till i saw what it really looked like. also, note the greenish area in the middle right of the sore. please let me know what i should do with her! thanks!

[​IMG]

2. Jedwards

Jedwards Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2014
    Berks County, PA
    My silkie hen had a sore very similar to that on her back. The culprit in my case was my EE roo, he was being a tad aggressive toward his ladies. Yours looks like it might be a tad infected [​IMG] Do you have a rooster? It could be bullying from the other hens too

3. nikkicoolmama

Jul 10, 2014
    Central Illinois
    no, we don't have a roo. :\ maybe the other girls are being mean- i understand being sick and tired of winter and looking for something else to do. it looks like some kind of mange to me, but i'm hoping it's not a disease. she's not acting sick in any way. after we washed it we put some neosporin on it.

4. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    I think the other girls may have gone after the blood feathers, yummy to them. you've done good so far. You could also apply no pick lotion, betedine or blu kote when she goes back out. Ordering a hen saddle/apron on line is another option. Best of luck!

5. nikkicoolmama

Jul 10, 2014
    Central Illinois
    thank your help and advice. i decided to put her back out with her buddies because she was looking for them in the house and wasn't happy. also, last time i had to separate someone there was a pretty nasty re-introduction period that i would like to avoid. so i put her in a large wire dog crate inside the coop. i re-applied the ointment this morning and also noticed another hen that had a small sore on her back. i'm seriously considering putting the hen i think is responsible for the pecking in the crate instead. i ordered the no pick online. thanks again!

6. nikkicoolmama

Jul 10, 2014
    Central Illinois
    this morning i did a better check on all my girls and it seems most of them have a little bit of bleeding on their backs. what the heck?? even the hen that i thought was doing the pecking has a small sore. is this some sort of disease? i did a check for it on the internet and i don't see anything that resembles this problem other than rooster damage. and we don't have a roo. i am so confused!!

7. Jedwards

Jedwards Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2014
    Berks County, PA
    hmm are there any predators that can get at them? dogs, hawks, rats?

8. Cluckies

Cluckies Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Has something changed in their coop/run? something they could be rubbing their backs on as they go under/through it recently or as they have gotten bigger?

It still may be feather picking. One can start and others can join in, it is a nasty habit. do you have a tractor supply near by? or feed store? run and get some Blu-kote, the spray kind, and spray that area. I've also picked up hen saddles from RedHippoStudio these help quite a bit if it is feather picking. you don't want to put any bleeding hens in with the others I don't think. They could get in a frenzy and kill her. Blu-kote will hide any red.

9. Cluckies

Cluckies Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Here is mine from feather picking, no bleeding but no good...
    [​IMG]
    lower back was feather picked

[​IMG]
    Hen saddle on one, the slw in the back was molting. pinless peepers on cluck-cluck my feather picker

10. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Sounds like classic feather picking. How much room do they have and what do they do all day? Stuck in coop right now, not able to forage? what is the protein content of your feed?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by