1 yr old & 4 week old in one coop?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by OHMYCHICKIES, May 14, 2009.

1. OHMYCHICKIES

OHMYCHICKIES Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Okay, I know it's a big no no to put 1 yr old and 4 wk old together but what do you do if you only have one coop? The 4 wk olds are getting big and I need to get them out of the cage that is in the coop.

Do ya'll have two coops or divide the coop? And how do you do the chicken door when you only have one door? what about the different food type? I'm at a lost right now on what to do with them. I didn't expect for all 15 eggs to hatch when I incubated them, and now I've doubled my count of chickens. [​IMG]

2. Echoes

Echoes Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Connecticut
    I didn't know the age mattered. But I guess it makes sense.

I have chickens from 8 weeks to 1 1/2 years in the same pen/coop. They all get along fine.

I can't answer y our question, so my post acts more as a BUMP I guess.

goodluck.

3. Sock Puppet

Sock Puppet Grumpy Hen

Mar 3, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    I had mine seperated right next to each other with a screen. That way they got used to seeing each other.

food wise, Im not sure what you should do there.

4. m2wandc

m2wandc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    I didn't realize it was AGE that mattered, but rather SIZE...I thought once they were the same SIZE it was ok to introduce them....hmmm...curious to hear what others say...

5. OHMYCHICKIES

OHMYCHICKIES Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    They are separated in the coop. The chickies are in a big rabbit cage but they are getting to big for it. I would think the others will leave them alone, since they seen them for 2 weeks in the coop. The hens were scared at first and now only look for spilled food.

So maybe together they will be okay, now if I can figure out the food situation. The chicks are not eating medicated feed, so no harm to the hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by