1 YR OLD BARRED ROCK FELL OFF PERCH

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HAPPYCHICKENLADY17, Apr 19, 2019.

1. HAPPYCHICKENLADY17

HAPPYCHICKENLADY17 Songster

Jan 31, 2019
    SEBASTIAN, FLORIDA
    I THINK SHE BROKE HER LEG UP AT THE HIP PART OF THE LEFT LEG....SHE CAN HOPPLE ON ONE LEG.....WHAT DO I DO, BUT FOR THE MOST PART SHE JUST STANDS THERE AND HOLDS THE FOOT UP CLOSE TO HER BREAST

CaramelKittey and Bamabexchicks like this.
  2. Squishychicken

Squishychicken Songster

Oct 13, 2017
    North carolina
    Pics?

Is the leg swollen discolored or hot to the touch?
    Does she have bumble foot?
    How high up was the perch?
    Is the bird heavy for its frame overweight sorta?

3. HAPPYCHICKENLADY17

Jan 31, 2019
    SEBASTIAN, FLORIDA
    I DONT THINK ITS THE HIP PART, I THINK ITS THE KNEE JOINT , SHOULD I TAPE IT

CaramelKittey likes this.
  4. HAPPYCHICKENLADY17

Jan 31, 2019
    SEBASTIAN, FLORIDA
    SHE IS NORMAL SIZE ABOUT 5 LBS..NOT DISCOLORED AND NOT HOT NO BUMBLE FOOT...THE PERCH WAS ABOUT 18 NCHES HIGH

CaramelKittey likes this.
  5. Bamabexchicks

Bamabexchicks Crossing the Road

Oct 30, 2018
    East central Alabama
    Please get pictures, or better a video. Download it to YouTube and provide a link. I will tag some people that may be able to help you, but I know they will ask for pics/video.
    @staceyj ,@Wyorp Rock ,@Eggcessive ,@casportpony

CaramelKittey, Sequel, MROO and 2 others like this.
  6. I agree, a video would be very helpful. Even pics would help somewhat, but a video would be the most help.

CaramelKittey, MROO and Wyorp Rock like this.
  7. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I agree with the others, please take a video if you can - upload to youtube, provide a link.

I don't think I would tape anything just yet until you figure out what's wrong.
    Cage her inside the coop or run so she can feel secure and not get picked on. Provide her with food/water.
    Is she fairly alert, eating/drinking?
    When you have time, carefully inspect the leg for swelling-if you think it's the knee joint look at that really good.
    See if there's any injuries at all.

Keep us posted.

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I agree to put her in a cage or dog crate, but try to keep her with the other chickens in the coop. Put her food and water close to her.

Sprains are more common than broken bones, but look for swelling or redness. By tomorrow there might be bruising which is green in chickens. Splinting can cause more harm if not done properly or if there is not a broken bone. A vet could xray the leg if that is an option. Here is a diagram that identifies the leg bones:
    upload_2019-4-19_16-8-22.jpeg

CaramelKittey, Sequel, Trux and 5 others like this.
  9. HAPPYCHICKENLADY17

Jan 31, 2019
    SEBASTIAN, FLORIDA
    yes, she is eating and drinking,,foot is a bit swollen,yes she is alert..the foot is just as warm as her right foot, and no discoloration yet

CaramelKittey and MROO like this.
  10. Did you SEE her fall off of the perch, or is that just your guess about what happened?

With no video, and with what you have described, I don't think it's broken. It could be that she's gotten stung, or gotten a bite from something, or just managed to sprain her leg. I'd say to give her a quiet place to stay comfortable, with feed and water and a comfy place to lay down. Give her time to heal, and just keep an eye on her. If possible, bring her inside, in a nice, big clothes basket or something similar, so you can have her where you can keep a close eye on her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: