1 yr old blk Australop laid first egg 4 dys ago, symptomatic of egg bo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Newer than I d like to be, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Newer than I d like to be

Newer than I d like to be New Egg

Oct 7, 2010
    I purchased Black Beauty & 2 other pullets 2 odd months ago. They've been bouyantly joyful. Other 2 symptom free - never laid an egg. She is picking minimaly at food, refused the oatmeal I saw recommend yesterday when I found this site. Poop a bit runny a bit of white residue showing on vent feathers, possibly a bit of gelatinous stuff at vent late today. She is droopy, separating herself from the others, occasional sad murmer - without her wonderful hyper-talk. Initialy fed starter feed with copious treats incluing sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, yogurt, scrambled eggs, zucchini, safflower seeds and oh yes, on chilly mornings a mix of warm cornmeal/oatmeal, today added flax. They free range in a small backyard. Spend nearly no time in a minimal coup except when roosting nightly. These ladies have not been handled by people until they came with me and are my first chickens. Black Beauty will now let me pet her if approached from behind. Questions - I plan to catch her tonight which will be a first and wrap in towel, lay on my table, lubricate vent with olive oil then vaseline, rub tummy. When I tried to lightly feel her abdomen I could not detect a bulge of any kind, but didn't apply much pressure. Do I rub tummy clockwise or does it matter? Downward strokes? How can I get her into water for a soak when she has never even been held? It's probably clear that this is my first posting on any forum anywhere. Took hours to even get the login right. Didn't think of asking til few hours ago. These are beautiful girls and they have been the happiest bodacious company I've ever had. Many thanks to all of you. What blesses one bleeses all as my Aunt Bobbie says.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You talked about what you initially fed, which sounded like it was way too many treats. What are you feeding now? Pumpkin seeds, for example, I know can cause diarrhea. This could be digestive. I'd offer mostly feed, some probiotics, maybe a little olive oil to help things along.

If she is eggbound/internal layer there is not a lot you can do many times.

I can pick up even the flightiest of my birds at night, off the roost or wherever they sleep.

Best of luck.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2010
  3. Newer than I d like to be

Oct 7, 2010
    Dawn, Thank you so, so much for responding. Now I am feeding an organic layer mix with probiotics which contains whole barley and split yellow peas etc. Thanks for the input on treats. The fellow that I bought the dear ones from said I could feed treats galore excepting corn. Yes she was docile when lifteded out of the roost. Today she is in deep hiding outside but did approach me just minutes ago, let me touch her underneath, nothing I could feel except breastbone. She is closing her eyes a bit often, still droopy. Again thank you very much for sharing your input with me. I am nearly computer illiterate, my 7 yr old neighbor helped me yesterday!

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    He's right that you shouldn't feed much corn. Corn to chickens is like candy to kids: they love it and a little won't hurt -- but you don't give an unlimited amount because they will eat nothing else. It doesn't have a lot of nutritional value.

We were ALL computer illiterate at one time, just as we ALL knew next to nothing about chickens at one time. I had to learn at work, but I'm still no computer whiz, not by a long shot.

Here is a link to a treats chart: https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-Treats_Chart
    (Just
    click on it to read it, then click on the backward arrow to come back here.) Two things worry me about giving a lot of treats: reducing the amount of protein and vitamins that they get. But treats make handling so much easier. Maybe try to give protein treats. Nothing at all wrong with a bite of your hamburger or fish (if you eat meat!) Truth is, I worry that organic feeds don't have the needed vitamins and minerals, too. You could put a few drops of infant vitamins without iron in their waterer, if you want.

I agree you should try the warm bath in case she is eggbound. I'll bet she won't be as hard to handle as you fear. I carry them like a football and they stay calm, even the flighty ones (I only have two of 16 that I can walk up to and pet.) If you can, then try the darkened place, like a dog carrier with a towel over part of it, to try to get her to relax. Of course they are social animals, so if this upset her I'd just put her back with the others.

What about worms or mites and lice? Can you ask the seller if he ever wormed them? Mites and lice you can see around their vents at night -- on the skin or feather shafts. Or ask him if he feels chickens should be routinely wormed -- a nicer way of asking, and a lot of people never worm their chickens. And any of these, if they are infested badly, can make them very sick.

I'll bet when she approached you she was looking for a treat.

5. Newer than I d like to be

Oct 7, 2010
    Dawn, I've taken her inside my house, housed in a very large dog carrier. It's very possible she is dying. She went into the coup, hung her head in the corner, then slumped on her right side. No protests of any kind picking her up, taking her into the house that she has never been and settling her in the carrier. Appreciate the worming idea, wondered myself. The coop was dusted w/DE before they were welcomed in, repeated often. One complication is I've always fed wild birds, robin size and down. Now it's said this is dangerous. We are predicted to have the worst winter in 100 yrs (Lynden, Wa.). Seems cruel to cut the little guys off now. The computer thing - My occupation was antique glassware, china, collectables - I'm a bit of a traditionalist. Don't have internet, just a great neighbor. Thanks, hope to post something good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by