1 yr old EE hen hasn't been laying for 2 months but looks healthy?

tasnim2005

Chirping
Sep 9, 2020
Hey everyone!! We have an EE hen that's almost a year old now, and she began laying at around 6 months old.

A little under 2 months ago, she got sick and had a problem with an egg inside her--after a few Epsom salt baths she eventually passed the membrane/egg safely. We gave her the safeguard dewormer for goats as well.

In the following two-ish months, she has been perfectly healthy--she is bright and alert, her comb is nice and red, and her feathers are shiny and clean. She eats, drinks, and poops normal and she is relatively friendly. However, she has not laid a single egg since then.

Sometimes she'll sit in the nesting box and sit on the eggs of the other hens, but still isn't laying. Does anyone have any ideas on why she isn't laying / why this could be?? Any and all answers are really appreciated, thank you!!!

JustBabyMargo

HONK
Premium Feather Member
Jul 7, 2021
Oregon
I read that hens can stop laying from traumatic events, so maybe she is just recovering mentally as well as physically. If she is not showing other symptoms I wouldn’t worry about it!😉 I have a Speckled Sussex hen that didn’t start laying until she was about 10 months old!😂 And her eggs were/are always the wonkiest!😂 So I would just say keep her comfortable and well fed and she should be fine!

tasnim2005

Chirping
Sep 9, 2020
I read that hens can stop laying from traumatic events, so maybe she is just recovering mentally as well as physically. If she is not showing other symptoms I wouldn’t worry about it!😉 I have a Speckled Sussex hen that didn’t start laying until she was about 10 months old!😂 And her eggs were/are always the wonkiest!😂 So I would just say keep her comfortable and well fed and she should be fine!
Haha thank you so much for the response!! I'll definitely keep that in mind :)

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
EE's are not always prolific layers, so she may be taking a break.
She also may have something wrong internally with her egg making equipment.
As long as she's eating/drinking/pooping/moving around OK, I'd not worry.

Top Bottom